Parker vs Joshua, Instead of What's a fair split?
I'll be the last man standing' - Joseph Parker backs himself to KO Anthony Joshua

New Zealand's WBO world champion Joseph Parker wants a bigger slice of the heavyweight title action.

Joseph Parker says he deserves more respect and has vowed to knock out Anthony Joshua and Deontay Wilder if unification fights can be lined up.

Parker, the WBO champion, is widely considered the most vulnerable belt holder in the division when put alongside IBF and WBA boss Joshua and American Wilder who holds the WBC belt.

Parker's handlers are in negotiations with Joshua's camp but won't be afraid to turn their attention to Wilder if a suitable deal can't be done with the British.

Parker did a round of media in both the UK and US on Saturday (NZT) and made his feelings clear – he's right in the mix to see who truly is the world champion and should be treated accordingly.

"I don't think I've ever gotten the respect of being a world champion, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I feel as a world champion I have achieved something incredible in our country and am very happy with what I have achieved. But I don't think I get the respect [it deserves]," Parker told ESPN.

"My last few performances weren't the best and maybe that is the reason why people don't see me as a threat or a challenge. But styles make fights. I like the style that he [Joshua] brings. I think my movement will cause him a bit of trouble and my punches.

"I'm still young in the sport but I have a really strong feel on what I can actually do in the ring and the power that I have.

"Now I have the WBO, I want the WBC. I want the IBF. I want the WBA. AJ is a fighter who is champion of the world. My goal is to unify. My goal is to grab his belts and to say that I am the real champion. It is everyone's goal. It is just who works hardest, has better skills and technique at the end of the day.

"I don't think I would have problems knocking them [Joshua or Wilder] out. Joshua has been dropped within his professional, amateur, sparring [rounds] and Wilder has been shaken up a few times."

Joseph Parker ✔@joeboxerparker
.@anthonyfjoshua so what's happening? Fight a voluntary or pay me respectable 40% as fellow champion and unify? ??#NeverBeenDropped @EddieHearn @D_Higgins_Duco

Parker continued that aggressive line with Sky Sports in the UK who showcase Joshua to that crucial market.

The 25-year-old Kiwi is adamant Joshua's come-forward approach plays into his hands and backs himself to win a slug-fest.

"I feel like the style that he has, I can work with, and I truly believe that I can knock him out," Parker told Sky Sports.

"I think that if we get the opportunity to fight, then I will be the last man standing. I have a lot of confidence that I can take a punch, and give a good one as well."

Parker feels the lack of respect for him is being displayed in the negotiations and wants Joshua and his promoter Eddie Hearn to offer a better deal.

"I feel it's a little low, but they can improve on it," Parker said of the starting point for a fight where three of the four belts would be on the line.

"Voluntary is 20 per cent is it? Mandatory is 30 per cent? So I think unification, it's fair to make it 40 for a unification. It comes down to negotiating and seeing where everybody is at.

"I think I do deserve that respect. I worked hard to get here and I believe that if we want to unify then we should actually do a deal that everyone is happy with."

- Stuff

Messages In This Thread
RE: Parker vs Joshua, Instead of What's a fair split? - diehard - 11-18-2017, 10:44 AM