Parker vs Joshua, Instead of What's a fair split?
Joseph Parker camp to Anthony Joshua - let's make the next fight

Anthony Joshua and his promoter Eddie Hearn have some big decisions to make as a busy 2018 looms on the heavyweight boxing scene.

Joseph Parker's handlers have opened communication lines to Eddie Hearn about a heavyweight unification fight with Anthony Joshua, the division's king-pin.

Most of the sparring between Hearn and Duco Events boss David Higgins has been done in the media as the division has heated up over the last couple of months.

But Hearn confirmed he had received contact from Higgins as the next phase of the heavyweight scene gets set up following WBC champion Deontay Wilder's brutal one-round demolition of fellow American Bermane Stiverne in New York on Sunday.

That victory followed Joshua (WBA and IBF champion) and Parker (WBO belt holder) completing mandatory defences in recent weeks.

Hearn said unification was firmly on the mind of his fighter as he attended a fight night in Monte Carlo with former champion Tyson Fury who is also on Joshua's radar.

Wilder immediately called out Joshua after an embarrassingly one-sided affair with Stiverne ended after the third knockdown in as many minutes to take him to 39-0.

The pressure continues to build on Hearn to sort out a path forward in the fractured scene.

New Zealand heavyweight Joseph Parker has a WBO belt plenty of his rivals want.

"Joshua has told me we want all the belts and that means taking on all the champions," Hearn told Sky Sports as planning for next year begins in earnest.

"The gentleman over there sitting ringside, Tyson Fury, he's in the plans for 2018 as well.

"Joseph Parker as well. I had a text from his promoter tonight, asking if we fancy making that fight next. Everybody wants to fight Anthony Joshua and you will see him fight everybody."

Higgins said he was prepared to have Parker fight Joshua in March if Hearn came up with a respectable offer.

Hearn has questioned Parker's monetary value since the Kiwi's lack-lustre win over Hughie Fury in Manchester in September and suggested in the media he might only be worth 20 per cent of a Joshua purse.

Parker is starting a training camp in Auckland top keep him in shape in the leadup to Christmas and give him a launching pad for next year.

Duco continue to work on plans for Parker's next fight against the backdrop of a possible title fight with Joshua if the right terms can be agreed.

Team Parker are eager to slip in a couple of worthy voluntary defences to cash in on Parker's status.

But a big money offer from Hearn could change their course.

The general theory is that Joshua would rather fight Parker ahead of Wilder to build the hype for a trans-Atlantic clash.

Fury, meanwhile, is adamant he can return to win his belts if he can get his doping case sorted out in the UK. He has hopes of that being achieved in December and says he is serious about his latest attempted comeback.

He said regaining his fitness was a priority now, having stacked on huge weight during his two-year absence from the ring since beating Wladimir Klitschko to become lineal champion.

"There's a lot of heavyweights out there who can give me problems if I'm not 100 per cent," Fury told IFL TV.

"In order for me to regain my throne, I need to be 100% fit, motivated and have the drive to continue to get back the belts."

Fury maintained his innocence amidst doping allegations that have dogged him since 2015.

"I'm totally innocent, I've done nothing wrong," Fury said. "I've been everything, but the one thing I haven't been is a drugs cheat."

Fury is frustrated with the way the division has panned out in his absence.

"I'm willing to fight all the heavyweights out there. You've got men holding my belts they got out the dustbin. I'm the only man standing here today that has beaten a champion," Fury said.

"I'm on the comeback, I'm hungrier than I've ever been.

"I'll be the underdog. I've been doubted and doubted many times. But I'm still unbeaten, I'm still young ... the most important thing is getting the (doping) case out of the way, then we can talk turkey.

"But looking at the division, I have nothing to be afraid of at all. I will school AJ. He didn't play with the super champion (Klitschko) like I did in his own back yard."

- Stuff

Messages In This Thread
RE: Parker vs Joshua, Instead of What's a fair split? - diehard - 11-06-2017, 01:18 PM