Pro Fights in other Divisions
Fighter of the Year: Vasyl Lomachenko

Three one-sided world title defenses. And all three times discouraged opponents were pulled out of the fight to avoid further punishment. WBO junior lightweight world champion Vasyl Lomachenko separated himself from the pack in 2017 to not only win Fightnews.com®
Fighter of the Year honors, but also to make a strong argument for the #1 position in the P4P rankings.

Lomachenko. In April, Loma stopped WBA featherweight champion Jason Sosa after nine rounds. In August, he returned to halt Miguel Marriaga after seven rounds. And finally, in a December showdown between two two-time Olympic gold medalists, Lomachenko dominated Guillermo Rigondeaux forcing the highly regarded Rigo to quit after six rounds.

Lomachenko beat out Terence Crawford and Srisaket Sor Rungvisai, who both went 2-0 in 2017.

WBC/WBO junior welterweight champion Crawford had wins over Felix Diaz in May, and then unified the 140lb division with a spectacular KO over WBA/IBF champion Julius Indongo in August. He later relinquished the belts to move up to welterweight.

Srisaket scored a controversial majority decision over Roman “Chocolatito” Gonzalez in March to win the WBC 115lb belt, then after an immediate rematch was ordered, Srisaket brutally knocked out Chocolatito in September.
Spence vs Petersen:

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2018/01/spence-peterson-boxing/
Spence: I’m going to dominate

Welterweight world champion Errol Spence Jr. hosted a media workout in Brooklyn on Wednesday ahead of his main event showdown against former two-division champion Lamont Peterson this Saturday, January 20 live on SHOWTIME from Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY. “I’m training for the Lamont Peterson that I know. He’s a hard worker, he’s hungry and he has a big heart. People shouldn’t look past this fight because I’m not at all. Peterson is a great fighter who’s seasoned.

“Everyone knows my style. The outcome usually is a stoppage. I won’t be looking for it, but if it presents itself, I’ll be ready to take advantage. I’m going to stick to my game plan. I can’t be worried about anything my opponent does during training camp. I have to focus on what I do best and listen to my coach. My style isn’t going to be affected by Lamont’s training.

“I’m keeping the same mentality that I’ve always had heading into fights. Winning the belt helped get my name out there, but my mentality is still to grind and stay hungry and listen to my coach. Nothing is different, I still change diapers and everything else you’d imagine.

“There are so many guys in the welterweight division, I want to clean them all out. If I keep beating the top guys, I’ll be the last one standing. I’m going to dominate like I’ve been doing.

“I’m not going to wait around for unification fights, I want to fight three times this year and I’ll take on the best opponent who steps into the ring.

“I’ll have to wait until I get into the ring to see how our power compares to each other. I’m the bigger guy but I don’t think we’ll really know until the first round. I’m going to stick to my game plan and adjust on the fly.

“I expect a 12 round fight and that’s what I train for. You have to have a smart coach to make adjustments during the fight and capitalize off your opponent’s mistakes.

“I know he’s going to be difficult. He’s a guy with fast feet who can come forward. He can basically do it all. I’m going to have to solve the puzzle.”
IBF welter champ Spence crushes Peterson
By Matt Richardson at ringside

Errol Spence Jr. continued to make his case as one of the hottest young stars in boxing Saturday night at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn with yet another impressive knockout performance.

This time the IBF welterweight title-holder showcased his growing set of skills against veteran Lamont Peterson. The former two-division belt-holder, fighting for the first time in 11 months, was perceived as a real test for Spence but the fight only further illustrated the disparity between most boxers and Spence.

Spence (23-0, 20 KO’s) dominated the fight from start to finish. He slammed Peterson (35-4-1, 17 KO’s) with combinations to the head and body. He knocked him down in the fifth. And he almost completely shut both of Peterson’s eyes with a series of hard, quick combinations to the face.

Finally, by the start of the eighth, Peterson’s team had witnessed enough and they held their boxer back in the corner, giving Spence the well-earned TKO win.

The fight started tentatively with both men feeling out the other.

The pace continued into the second as Spence came forward while Peterson largely retreated. A left hook momentarily appeared to stun Peterson in the final minute of the round but Spence patiently stalked his opponent in search of another clear opening. Spence banged Peterson to the head and body in the third, scoring well with clean, concise punching. Peterson temporarily fought back but by the end of the frame Spence was back to connecting with lefts to the head and body.

Referee Harvey Dock admonished Spence for hitting low in the fourth after a series of shots appeared to hit Peterson in his purple trunks. The warning only inspired Spence to punch Peterson in the head instead and by the end of the round he seemed to rock Peterson on a combination.

An uppercut-left hook combination dropped Peterson onto the canvas in the fifth. Peterson beat the count but took a lot of punishment in all four corners of the ring for the remainder of the round. An attempt by Peterson to slow Spence’s momentum by winging two low blows failed to do anything but earn a warning from Doc. Peterson did successfully end the round on his feet, though. By the mid-way point of the fight Peterson’s face looked noticeably swollen (his right eye was partially closed shut) and Spence took advantage by picking Peterson apart with an array of carefully-placed shots.

The ringside doctor briefly examined Peterson’s eye at the start of the seventh round, slightly delaying the resumption of action. But when the boxing restarted it was more of the same: Spence dominating Peterson, who, now partially blinded, largely remained in retreat. By round’s end Peterson appeared physically and mentally beaten and his corner seemed conflicted about letting him go on. The bell rang for the eighth but Peterson’s team made up their mind and kept Peterson back in the corner, bruised, swollen and thoroughly dominated by one of the sport’s new great talents.

Time of the stoppage was one second of the eighth. Attendance at the card was announced as 12,107 – an impressive number for a card held in the middle of the winter in New York City.
Matthysse stops Kiram for WBA welter belt
By David Robinett at ringside

It is an axiom of boxing that power is the great equalizer, and no better example of that was a past-his-prime, but still dangerous, Lucas Matthysse (39-4, 36 KOs) knocking out previously undefeated Thai challenger Tewa Kiram at 1:21 of round eight to capture the vacant WBA welterweight title in the HBO Boxing After Dark main event from Inglewood, California.

Up until the eighth round, it seemed as though the unknown Kiram (37-1, 27 KOs) might send Mattthysse into retirement in what amounted to a crossroads fight for Matthysse, as Kiram used his jab, length, and movement to stay out of range and frustrate the Argentinian slugger whilst boos rained down from a crowd anxious for blood from a typical Matthysse fight, despite the fight actually being an interesting contrast of styles. But early in round eight the previously ineffective right hand of Matthysse finally found the mark, at the end of a two-punch combination that sent Kiram to the canvas. Kiram rose gamely and traded with Matthysse when action resumed, but the damage from those followup punches, punctuated by a stiff left jab by Matthysse, sent Kiram down under the bottom rope for the full count. With the victory Matthysse has eyes on a rematch with Danny Garcia.
Linares retains WBA lightweight title
By David Robinett at ringside

In a title bout pitting two fighters unbeaten since 2012, WBA lightweight champion Jorge Linares (44-3, 27 KOs) successfully defended his title, as well as recognition as the Ring Magazine lineal lightweight champion, with a twelve-round unanimous decision over Mercito Gesta (31-2-2, 17 KOs) in the co-main event on HBO Boxing After Dark at the Forum in Inglewood, California. Scores for Linares were 117-111, 118-110, 118-110.

The southpaw Gesta started quickly, darting behind his right jab and landing quick left hands and short combinations, although a Linares counter right might have been the hardest punch of the round.

The right hand continued to be Linares’ best weapon in the early rounds, landing regularly with authority while Gesta’s punches seemed to have less effect on the Venezuelan champion. Despite the power difference, Gesta didn’t back down, motioning Linares to come get him in the fifth and going toe to toe while getting the crowd worked up into the fight.

However, Gesta’s moxie was not enough to overcome Linares’ strength and skill advantages, and as Linares continued to land big right hands in the middle and later rounds, mixing in occasional but effective upppercuts, he started to pile up a lead on the scorecards, as reflected in the comfortable margin of victory despite coasting a bit near the finish line while Gesta continued to gamely come after him.

Not a bad effort by Gesta, but his ceiling appears to be just below this level while Linares, a three-division champion, can look forward to potential matchups with pound-for-pound residents Miley Garcia and Vasyl Lomachenko.
Good scrap this morning between Usyk and Briedis. Had Usyk winning but Briedis certainly gave it everything, he just couldn't keep up with Usyk fitness wise. I assume that the winner of this competition will move up to heavyweight.
Don't think Usyk would put a dent in any of the big boys of the HW division.
Murat Gassiev TKO12 over Yunier Dorticos. Gassiev to take on Oleksandr Usyk in cruiserweight super series decider in May.
Here's the Ring Magazine rankings in the heavys. Hadn't heard of kownacki (#10). Is he any good?

https://www.ringtv.com/ratings/?weightclass=272