SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch
(01-26-2015, 03:59 PM)craigyid14 Wrote: I have a problem with people at work thinking its proper boxing. Soon one of these unfit jokers will get seriously hurt, with these two unlikeable characters, maybe not such a bad thing. I wonder if that would knock it on the head? I don't buy how its good for making the sport grow. Boxing has always been a niche sport with the casual fans jumping on board for big fights or big fighters, now there jumping on board for talentless fat guys who get on the news. What boxing in NZ really needs is to develop a superstar who grabs the public imagination. Not an obnoxious passed it in his 20's cricketer and a fat, famous for 15 minutes nobody.

I get what you are saying and totally agree with it but the fact of the matter is right now the closest thing we have to a star is Jo Parker and while he is still fighting fights he should win easily he is not enough on his own.
Super 8 is a great concept but the reason prize fighter worked is there is hundreds of fighters in the uk that would fight for free and risk their record just to get the exposure. Even combined with oz we don't have anything close to that, hence why the next super 8 is back to cruiser.
Unless we want to see our top fighters fight in front of hundreds rather than 1000s and replayed on some tin pot tv channel that nobody watches six months after the night of the fight this sideshow stuff is needed IMO

Messages In This Thread
RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - justafan - 01-26-2015, 07:38 PM