SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch
Very disappointing. There were strong rumors it was going to be at light heavy, NZ's strongest division. Now they seem to be just repeating, apart from the terminator film nothings better second time round.
Shoulda gone back to the heavyweights.
I went to the heavyweight edition and it was pretty poor, the undercard was more memorable. Joe Blackbourn had a good win. Sam Rapira was evenly matched and the young heavy was the most explosive heavyweight on the bill.
So it's a travelling road show now, same thing all over again in a different city. Also, does this mean Papuni will fight twice in March? On the Parker undercard and then on this too?
Stay tuned... you want interesting fights, we've got them.
As far as repeating, nothing could be further from the truth.
The LH field was light and would have been dominated by Australians due to the level of interest and talent that wanted in.
I have made no secret over my preference for cruisers.
I think cruiser an excellent division for this format. Smaller more active heavies who can change or end the fight with a punch. If u can get some fresh talent onboard for the opposite side of the draw it would be a good sequel IMHO. The Ryder fight needs rethinking however....
I got the best giggle when I woke up this morning, last night before I went to kip I read on Facebook that there was a big announcement for the undercard of this and super eight wanted people to name what they expected this 'massive fight' would be. There were some tasty fights mentioned, Berridge-Papuni, Tua-Meehan amongst them. I went to sleep thinking of some good possible fights only to wake up this morning and see the 'massive fight' was Fat/beer swigging washed up already ex New Zealand cricketer Jessie Ryder versus Cameron Slater, who I had to Google as I didn't know who he was, he's famous for writing a blog, haha. My question is was there nobody from short land street available?
New Zealand's most hated man VS The bad of boy of Cricket during Cricket Cup is not for the purist its for a whole different cross section of fans.
We have been assured that Jessie is cleared and would find another opponent for Slater if it was determined otherwise.
The next few fights to be announced are for the purists.
Its not only Duco bringing the sport down now. A couple of questions, why didn't you name the proper fights first? And couldn't you have put this pantomime of a fight on another card? Maybe in a village hall somewhere, Norfolk Island maybe.
VADR, do you see Meehan fighting soon? On your card? I don't mind a circus act like Ryder vs Slater, as long as it's only one or two of a line-up of great fights for the purists like myself. I do prefer the light-heavys, as that's our best division in NZ, but if you can't get them to fight in a tournament, what can you do?