SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch
Here's some of it:

Asesanya beats Minto for Super 8 crown

Israel Asesanya (3-1, 1 KO), who entered the competition with an 0-1 pro boxing record, won a split decision over Brian “The Beast” Minto (41-9, 26 KOs) in the final of the Super 8 cruiserweight tournament on Saturday night at the Horncastle Arena in Christchurch, New Zealand. Minto pressed the action, but after three rounds one judge had Minto ahead, one judge had Asesanya ahead and the third judge had it even. The fighters had to go to an extra fourth round to determine the victor and Asesanya got the nod.

Asesanya, mainly a kickboxer, opened with a KO2 against Asher Derbyshire (7-2, 2 KOs) and a three round majority decision over Lance Bryant (4-2, 2 KOs) in the semis. Minto stopped Monty Filimaea (10-12-1, 6 KOs) in round two, and outpointed Daniel Ammann (31-9-1, 6 KOs) over three in the semis.

Also, in a featured non-super 8 cruiserweight bout, WBA/WBO #13 rated Anthony McCracken (18-7-1, 8 KOs) hammered out a ten round unanimous decision over Avitaille Soi (24-2, 16 KOs).
Let's be honest, unfortunately from a boxing's fans point of view it was very disappointing. Easily the worst show they've put on. Shame the previous one was great.
Needed a headliner for the other fights to feed off of, especially for $40. Soi vs McCracken was NOT a headliner.
The final of the Super 8 going to a 4th round was a joke. Although a good close contest, Minto had clearly won the fight, he totally bulldozed Asesanya for 3 rounds and just maybe one of those rounds would have been even.
Personally, I am close to Sky TV, and have a lot of respect for what they are doing in rivalry-ling Duco, whom in my opinion exploit NZ Boxing. But Saturday night's decision to go to a 4th round just showed they are also vulnerable to hosting tournaments with 2nd rate Referees and Judges. Yes the R&J's make mistakes, we all do. But some of the judging and reffing was very poor to say the least.

However, some good fights were had, and the Super 8 seems to be a good concept... lets hope Sky TV take a long hard look whom they get to officiate these fights.

On a "nearly" positive note, Asesanya could be good if someone can teach him to be humble!
If you had a ten point must system, it wouldn't have to go to a fourth round with three judges. You wouldn't have 2nd rate refs with Rebel and Denny Enright reffing. They're the best!
Aren't pro-fights 10 point must anyways? How does it end up a draw with 3 rounds, the judges must give a total score based on all 3 rounds???
No, one judge had one round even, and the other two for each fighter. Hate that.
Actually, the 4th judge (whom will remain nameless) can override the judges score cards and call one of the cards even to take it to a 4th round. which is what happened. This is why they do not name the judges when reading out the scores. i.e. Number 1 judge, number 2 judge, number 3 judge.

Yes, surprise surprise people, there was a 4th judge who could over rule a pending decision, which he did and to me seems absolutely ridiculous? Why even have 3 judges if the 4th judge can over rule their decisions??

In my opinion, SKY TV (who made these rules) have got it wrong!!
(03-31-2015, 12:33 PM)Dannyboy Wrote: Actually, the 4th judge (whom will remain nameless) can override the judges score cards and call one of the cards even to take it to a 4th round. which is what happened. This is why they do not name the judges when reading out the scores. i.e. Number 1 judge, number 2 judge, number 3 judge.

Yes, surprise surprise people, there was a 4th judge who could over rule a pending decision, which he did and to me seems absolutely ridiculous? Why even have 3 judges if the 4th judge can over rule their decisions??

In my opinion, SKY TV (who made these rules) have got it wrong!!

That's crazy, I've never heard anything like it. What a f*ck up.