Lucas Browne vies for WBA interim title
Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/lucas-browne-vies-vacant-wba-interim-hvy-title--86285#ixzz3Op5tnqmv

Lucas Browne Vies For Vacant WBA Interim HVY Title
Mobile Version Click Here To Email Search BoxingScene Database

Lucas 'Big Daddy' Browne believes he should be given a shot at the WBA interim heavyweight title or even regular champion Ruslan Chagaev in the wake of the Luis Ortiz doping scandal.

Ortiz won the interim strap with a one round KO of Lateef Kayode in September, but the result has now been made a no contest and the belt is likely to be declared vacant after the Cuban tested positive for the banned substance Nandrolone.

The Nevada State Athletic Committee held a meeting on Monday and unanimously voted to ban Ortiz for eight months (backdated to September) and fine him $8,000.

Browne is ranked number five by the WBA, but with Bryant Jennings likely to face Wladimir Klitschko and Alexander Povetkin and Tyson Fury exploring options with other sanctioning bodies, the hard-hitting Aussie is the highest available contender.

"I'm so close to landing a huge fight, I can almost touch it," Browne, 22-0 (19 KOs), said. "I'm crossing my fingers that I'm going to land a title fight early this year and I'll make sure that I grab the opportunity with both hands, if it eventuates.

"Whether it's the interim title or Ruslan Chagaev, it doesn't matter to me. I like my chances with any heavyweight in the world and that includes Chagaev. I've got two legends of the sport in Ricky Hatton, my promoter and Jeff Fenech, my trainer, in my corner.

"I'm going from strength to strength. My fans base in Australia and also the UK and Ireland will be right behind me. I get constant messages of support from all over the world and I thank the fans for that.
"I try to make myself accessible to the fans and I think that's why I get such a strong following. Fighting for a world title with all that support would be a dream come true."

Matt Clark, Browne's co-manager, added: "We are hopeful that this opens up a huge opportunity for Lucas Browne to either challenge for the vacant interim title or face Ruslan Chagaev for his regular belt.

"Lucas is essentially the highest ranked contender available in the WBA rankings to face Chagaev or contest the interim title, as the other boxers appear to be taking different paths.

"Lucas has fought away from Australia on six occasions, which is a testament to his warrior mentality. If we have to travel again for the interim crown or to face Chagaev, he will have no problems at all in doing so."
Sure the WBA is a joke, with their several titles, and the people vying for an interim title despite 2 guys above you. That aside, a good promoter could really sell this fight. Making the far out assumption that boxing is a money game, Take a look at the next few guys after Lucas in the WBA, & which fight do u think makes the most $$$?
5 Browne
6 Briggs
7 De Mori
8 Oquendo
9 Kauffman
10 Parker
11 Pulev
12 Glazkov
For me it's probably Briggs, then Parker. Briggs is trying his luck at pushing Jennings out of the Wlad fight, and not clear that he wants to fight anyone serious unless it's for the championship.

WBA could also hang their hat on the fact that a Browne/Parker fight also would be a Commonwealth belt defence, giving it more credibility than some of the other possibilities...

Here's your big chance Duco. Go to work!
Ok. So Wlad/ Jennings is confirmed. Sounds like Wlad will want Fury or winner of Wilder/Fury next.

Will Briggs take a chance vs Browne?
http://www.boxingscene.com/ruslan-chagaev-lucas-browne-ordered-by-wba--87829

Browne / Chagaev ordered......
Gut feel is Browne would lose that fight, which would bring a Browne vs Parker one step closer.
Briggs, de Mori, and Kaufman come to mind for Parker. Duco has a lot of money to spend, more than most, to get Briggs over here. I would say Jennings, but he'll be cannon fodder after Klit finishes with him.

Browne vs Parker won't happen anytime soon, as Browne has bigger fish to fry.
But if Browne loses vs Chagaev, does he still have bigger fish to fry? Think that's a luxury that comes with the "0"... ?
...but if Browne loses to Chagaev, he'll go down in the rankings, and then would Parker want him? Lots depends on how he loses, but I think he'll win.