Parker vs Pettaway
Is Reece Pupuni confirmed on this undercard? I heard he was being saved for the light heavy super 8 but I it was not from a reliable source, more rumor
I read somewhere that he was on Duco's undercard.  Pupuni that is, along with Buttabean.
OK cool thank you, really keen to see more of Reece on TV. He was massively underated before the Rapira fight.
$1.75 at the TAB was like free money, although so was the multi on the whole Duco card that night.
Hopefully some more evenly matched bouts this time around.
(01-17-2015, 12:28 PM)craigyid14 Wrote: I'd like to see Reece knock buttabean out, then hopefully we'd never hear from him again. More likely he fights some blob (buttabean that is.)

I want him to rematch the Waikato Chiefs dude who in real life beat him last time :-)

Not going to happen is it :-(
(01-16-2015, 04:17 AM)tm7 Wrote: That Polish bloke is on the undercard again - Izu Ugonoh (10-0) - not sure who he's fighting though. He's moved up to Heavyweight but I can't see it being a kiwi as none would test him. Could be an Aussie to try sell more PPV over there?
He's fighting Will Quarrie.
(01-21-2015, 08:49 PM)craigyid14 Wrote:
(01-16-2015, 04:17 AM)tm7 Wrote: That Polish bloke is on the undercard again - Izu Ugonoh (10-0) - not sure who he's fighting though. He's moved up to Heavyweight but I can't see it being a kiwi as none would test him. Could be an Aussie to try sell more PPV over there?
He's fighting Will Quarrie.

That's interesting! Thanks for the heads up craigyid14
So at the moment we COULD see:

Joseph Parker v Jason Pettaway
Jeff Horn v TBA
Reece Papuni v TBA
Izuagbe Ugonoh v Will Quarrie
Bowyn Morgan v Ivana Seau
Brown Butterbean v TBA

Does Butterbean count as the 'celebrity fight' still now that he's gone pro?
It doesn't make you want to rush out and buy a ticket when its written down like that, especially as Papuni might be fighting in Christchurch instead. The butter bean farce is a 4x2 corporate 'fight'. There finding an opponent now laughably two of the conditions are you must be from south Auckland and you must weigh a minimum of 100 KGS.  I hate Duco.
Q&A: Trainer Kevin Barry

By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing

Respected Las Vegas boxing trainer Kevin Barry talks to Fightnews about WBA #10, WBO #11 heavyweight Joseph Parker, who he has trained to world class level. Barry also trained David Tua when he scored his greatest victories and makes a comparison between the two outstanding heavyweights from Samoan parents. Barry also talks on Parker’s victories over Frans Botha, Brian Minto, Sherman Williams and Inneu Beato Costa Jr.

You are the trainer of WBA #10 Joseph Parker. When did you become his trainer?

I began training Joe Parker in April of 2013. We have now had eight fights together

Parker has had impressive victories over Frans Botha, Brian Minto, Sherman Williams and Inneu Beato Costa Junior Can you tell me which was his best performance?

Each of the named opponents provided quality tests for the young Joe Parker. Fighting the experienced Botha in only his sixth fight and only the first time past six rounds was a huge achievement both physically and mentally. Then making the step up in power and performance and ko’ing Botha in 2 rounds was a performance that set the stage for the things that were to come. Also showing his ability to handle the pressure on a big stage was huge. The Minto fight was significant in that Minto had destroyed Shane Cameron and had based himself in NZ for over 5 weeks preparing to fight Joe. Joe needed to show that he could be disciplined and follow a game plan to completely cancel out the weapons that Minto brought to this challenge. This performance was his best to that date as he broke Minto down in mature and disciplined fashion, completely shutting him out before over powering him in seven rounds. Williams brought durability and the occasional dangerous overhand right. Joe put on a clinic in this fight. Staying focused and relaxed and winning every round. The Beato Costa Jr fight was a showcase of how far Joe’s skills and power have developed over the past 2 years. This was his last fight and his best overall performance. Displaying a tremendous body attack, a big work rate and real heavyweight power. Joe showed all his skills and knocked cold the previously very tough and durable Brazilian with a single right hand.

Parker will be in action against American Jason Pettaway (17-1, 10 KOs) on March 5th in New Zealand. Pettaway has a good record. Are you expecting a tough fight?

In Jason Pettaway, I’m expecting a different style of opponent than what Joseph has been fighting. Pettaway has an accomplished amateur pedigree and will bring a lot of movement into his fight against Joe. It has been very important for me in the development of Joe that we challenge him with different styles and work on different game plan strategies in the gym to make him a more complete and better rounded fighter.

Parker will be working with WBA, WBO, IBF champion Wladimir Klitschko soon. Has he worked as a sparring partner previously. Have you found the sparring sessions beneficial in the development of Joseph who is one of the youngest rated heavyweight contenders at 23 years of age?

Joe has been invited two previous times to join Wladimir’s training camp. Unfortunately the first 2 times we were preparing ourselves for defenses of Joe’s two regional belts, so we could not accept the invitation. This time however we fight on March 5and the training camp is around the end of March so we were pleased to be able to participate. Wladimir is the best heavyweight of this era and being able to measure Joe’s skills and development against the sports premiere heavyweight is an opportunity for us as a team to see where we are at and what we need to develop and work on moving forward to compete at this top level. We greatly appreciate the opportunity that has been offered to us by the Klitschko camp.

Parker is rated WBA #10. Is WBA champion Ruslan Chagaev on your radar? Is Parker ready for that challenge after 12 fights?

Obviously as Joe continues to improve, mature and develop into a more complete heavyweight, it is every fighter’s goal to one day be able to challenge and hopefully to win, the world title. We however have a lot of work to do to get to that level and are very careful not to get too far ahead of ourselves. We must continue winning and developing as the caliber of opponents becomes more challenging, so that when the opportunity does present itself Joe will give himself a far greater chance of being successful.

Is WBA #4, IBF #5,WBC #7 Lucas “Big Daddy” Browne on your radar?

I think Lucas and his team have done a terrific job in moving him into a very solid position. Lucas is definitely one of the bigger punchers in the heavyweight division .If both guys continue to remain undefeated and continue to rise in the rankings, it is inevitable that Joe and Lucas are destined to meet in the ring. This will be a huge trans-tasman fight with worldly interest. The winner will be in a very good position.

Parker trains in Las Vegas where you are based. Who will be his sparring partners for the Jason Pettaway bout?

Joe has trained in Las Vegas and lived with my family and I since we became a team 2 years ago. Joe has become part of my family and it is because of this strong bond and family environment that has enabled Joe to be away from his own close family unit for long periods of time and to be able to focus and commit to the training schedule that he has. For the Pettaway fight Joseph will get most of his sparring work with his team mate and fellow undefeated heavyweight Izu Ugonoh 10-0 8 KOs. Izu and Joe train together and both live in my house. Joe also spars his longtime sparring partner and friend Brice Ritani and a few other local fighters from Las Vegas

You trained former world heavyweight challenger David Tua who scored a KO over future world champion John Ruiz in his 23rd fight in 1996 at the age of 23. Tua only boxed one ten round bout in first 12 fights..How do Parker and Tua compare in your opinion?

There is not a lot of similarities between David Tua and Joe, other than the fact that they both have Samoan parents and they both had a lot of early talent. I believe that Joseph Parker is the most talented fighter to come out of New Zealand in the last 20 years since David Tua turned pro in 1992 as a 19 year old. David Tua was an incredibly powerful fighter who did the hard yards in hotels and training camps in America paving a way for others to follow. David was brought along very patiently waiting 8 years for his chance of fighting for a world title. Joseph from his sixth fight has been on an accelerated path fighting many experienced challenges in his early career path.

Is there anything you would like to say to Joseph Parker fans on Fightnews?

Joe is an exceptional young man who has a terrific drive and focus. This disciplined young man understands that good things come to those that work hard and that there is no substitute for hard work. Joe loves his fans and supporters and is doing everything in his power to be the very best that he can be.
as much as i have a distaste for barry and his former partner in their fleecing of davey, from a strictly training pov, he's done parker a world of good. not only that, barry in vegas can keep the other sharks away from parker.......when the serious money ( hopefully) starts appearing is when parker needs to have a trustworthy financial sidekick....and duco ain't it.