Joseph Parker and Anthony Joshua are set for a collision course
I read Joshua-Johnson bout was postponed to April when he fights in Newcastle, gives Joe an opportunity to catch/pass him in the rankings with a few months up his sleeve.
(01-13-2015, 11:22 PM)tm7 Wrote: I read Joshua-Johnson bout was postponed to April when he fights in Newcastle, gives Joe an opportunity to catch/pass him in the rankings with a few months up his sleeve.

Its not a race tm7..... :-)

Thompson is far and away a better opponent than Parker has, or is likely to fight in the next 12 months. And i think Joseph Parker is ranked higher than him anyway, at least that was the case the last time i looked eh .
(01-14-2015, 11:39 PM)Stormy Wrote:
(01-13-2015, 11:22 PM)tm7 Wrote: I read Joshua-Johnson bout was postponed to April when he fights in Newcastle, gives Joe an opportunity to catch/pass him in the rankings with a few months up his sleeve.

Its not a race tm7.....  :-)

Thompson is far and away a better opponent than Parker has, or is likely to fight in the next 12 months. And i think Joseph Parker is ranked higher than him anyway, at least that was the case the last time i looked eh .

I suppose you're right haha.

Although Joshua is ranked better on Boxrec though and is 8th with the WBC
& Joseph unlikely to go up more than 1 rank with any of them if he beats Pettaway unless it happens early and spectacularly ..
http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/64830305/clash-of-young-titans-joseph-parker-and-anthony-joshua-looms-large
(01-15-2015, 08:44 AM)cranky Wrote: & Joseph unlikely to go up more than 1 rank with any of them if he beats Pettaway unless it happens early and spectacularly ..

He went up a few pegs by beating a guy who had just come of a loss to a guy who is nothing special.....i mean the basics win fights and all that, but its often the little add ons that are oftentimes the thing that determines just what level of boxer you are. Costa jnr was a solid c level fighter from what I have seen of him. Christian Hammer is a C+ i suppose.
Perhaps I'm a little more cynical about what the ranking organizations base their rankings on. I really doubt they see nuanced tweaks to skills in each fight and determine that one fighter is now better than another. Sure they should, but they're not that good. But if a fighter does a demolition job on someone they themselves ranked (irrespective if they were right about that or not) then it makes sense that will improve the fighter's rank.

Costa was a "somebody" with the WBO (previous months number 15), hadnt been KO'd and Parker delivered a highlight reel level KO in 5. Parker moved from 14 to 12 with them for that. Pettaway on the other hand is nobody with any of the alphabets.... If he does the same thing to Pettaway, does he move up 2 notches? I'm guessing 1...
(01-17-2015, 11:38 PM)cranky Wrote: Perhaps I'm a little more cynical about what the ranking organizations base their rankings on.  I really doubt they see nuanced tweaks to skills in each fight and determine that one fighter is now better than another. Sure they should, but they're not that good.  But if a fighter does a demolition job on someone they themselves ranked (irrespective if they were right about that or not) then it makes sense that will improve the fighter's rank.

Costa was a "somebody" with the WBO (previous months number 15), hadnt been KO'd and Parker delivered a highlight reel level KO in 5.  Parker moved from 14 to 12 with them for that.   Pettaway on the other hand is nobody with any of the alphabets....   If he does the same thing to Pettaway, does he move up 2 notches? I'm guessing 1...

You do get the impression that 2015 for Parker is high activity & skill honing. I wouldn't expect Parkers next fight after Pettaway a high profile either...there is a method to their madness. Some of the current heavyweights in top 15 of the alphabets are inactive and some wouldnt fight more than twice a year but I suppose most stay active enough waiting for that big day. I wouldn't be surprise if Parkers ranking doesnt change and he may go up 1 spot if lucky. But watch this space he will fight bigger and much better household names as the year goes on.
I think Pettaway and possibly his next fight are designed to face "legitimate" fighters with good records or name recognition, like a Williams, Botha, or Minto.  I think Team Parker is looking to stay in the rankings more so than go up in the rankings.  My guess is that the big fight that will launch him in the top 5 in at least one of the alphabets will be in July in Invercargill.  In other words, they are just setting things up to make their run then.

Remember, in the Tua days, KB is very good at calling out fighters, and making fights happen.
That all makes sense...