Wilder vs Stiverne, January 17th
Boxing News

Stiverne: I think he’s a fraud, I don’t think he deserves to be fighting for the title

By David Finger

It’s been a long road to the top, but for WBC heavyweight champion Bermane “B-Ware” Stiverne (24-1-1, 21 KOs), there is no time to sit back and enjoy his newfound status as a world champion. Six months after winning the title in explosive fashion against Chris Arreola, Stiverne will defend the belt against undefeated #1 contender Deontay Wilder tonight in Las Vegas. Although both fighters are heavy punchers with some impressive knockouts on their resume, the similarities end there. Compared to the normally laid back Stiverne, Wilder is loud, outspoken, and something of a mystery. Whereas Stiverne has clearly established himself as one of the hardest punching heavyweights in recent years, nobody really known what will happen when Wilder lands one of his power shots on Stiverne. It’s this mystery that has made this fight one of the most talked about heavyweight fights in years.

For Stiverne, there is no question in his mind as to if Wilder is the real deal or not. He is supremely confident of a knockout victory, and even had some scathing criticism for the undefeated American bomber. Stiverne promises that boxing will get its answers about Wilder on January 17, but a dominant victory would hardly close the book on Wilder or even really answer any questions about him. Because if the fight plays out like he is predicting, the talk may not be about how good or bad Wilder was, but how boxing now has a serious challenge to the conventional wisdom that the “real” heavyweight champion lives in Germany.

Stiverne took some time to talk to Fightnews about tonight’s fight.

How are you feeling champ? How is your training camp going?

Great. Excellent.

What have these last few months as champion been like for you?

I’m a low key guy. I don’t get myself out there. But in terms of the fans and the people who watch boxing, I get a lot of attention. Actually there is more people that walk up to me and want to take pictures and talk a bit. That’s little different then it was.

Your opponent is noted for being something of a “trash talker”, a sharp contrast to you. Does his trash talking in any way upset you, or perhaps motivate you?

No, of course not. This is not Jeopardy. It’s not a battle of words. Now I think it’s very immature. Pretty much everything he does or says on social media, I don’t pay attention. I don’t watch or read what he has to say.

You’ve never fought a fighter so clouded in mystery. Many sports fans are not sure if Wilder is the second coming of Mike Tyson or the second coming of Peter McNeely due to the fact that he has never really been tested. Is there something that you’ve seen in the tapes however that you think gives you a clue as to what he really brings to the table?

I mean, pretty much I see what everyone else sees. To me, I think he’s a fraud. I don’t think he deserves to be fighting for the title and that’s why I’m not with it. But what is worse is that he is not even ready to fight at this level. What will be even worse is that I’m the best and I train myself like I was fighting the best fighter out there. Whatever (lack of) experience he has in his thirty two fights, he will have to deal with it when he faces me.

What do you think is Wilder’s greatest strength? What is his biggest weakness?

Honestly, all these questions will be answered January 17th. I’m going for the unknown. That I’m fighting the most dangerous fighter and that is how I prepare myself. Those questions will be answered January 17th.

Let’s talk about you. You have shown a tremendous ability to adapt to your opponent in recent fights. How do you expect this fight to go?

This fight will be a knockout. That is guaranteed. No other way. I don’t see this fight goes the distance. I would be surprised if this fight will go more than 5 or 6 rounds, and I think I’m being generous when I say 5 or 6 rounds. It will come down to how much he can take.

What is your greatest strength as a fighter?

I think I don’t waste my punches.

As a world champion, what would a win over Wilder mean for you?

No impact. Just be glad I will be able to shut his mouth.

What impact would it have on your career?

The only impact is that…that it will show people, those people who think he’s the greatest thing since sliced bread, what he is. A lot of people believe in him. He has a terrific record; he has a better record than Mike Tyson or Muhammad Ali. The pressure isn’t on me. The pressure is on him.

Finally, is there any message for your fans?

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I send all my regards and appreciation to all my fans. The only thing I can give them is a victory.

Messages In This Thread
Wilder vs Stiverne, January 17th - diehard - 12-23-2014, 10:45 AM
RE: Wilder vs Stiverne, January 17th - diehard - 01-18-2015, 11:02 AM