Wilder vs Stiverne, January 17th
I agree, Daneo. Wilder looks untouchable, except maybe for Tyson Fury and Klit. My only qualifier to that, though, is that Stiverne will be Wilder's toughest test. I want to see how Wilder steps up in competition before I rate him too highly. But he certainly has the goods. He'll have to counter one of Wilder's punches, hurt him, and then finish him to have a chance. Wilder isn't an excellent boxer, but he's good enough to hang in there until he can unleash his power.
(01-14-2015, 03:51 PM)Daneo Wrote: Was watching the last clip that ESPN put out on the fight, the clips of the their highlights are like night and day. Wilder just looks so much sharper and so much faster than Stiverne. Stiverne throws such short punches I don't see how he'll get inside of Wilder's reach. Wilder's punch accuracy is top notch too, compared to Arreola who is all over the shop I don't see Stiverne tagging him with those left hook counters.
I still don't see this as a massive test for the bronze bomber, Stiverne beat a very limited guy in Arreola - Anyone top fighter at HW should have no trouble with Arreola IMHO.

Its for this reasoning that i pick Wilder. I dont think Stiverne is much different to Wilders previous opponents.....except that he appears to be mentally strong and ultra determined to put up a fight. But then he is the Champ.

It is Stivernes style of fighting that needs some tinkering with in order to avoid a loss. A few easy adjustments here and there would change some elements i would think.....along with some more height and reach that wouldnt go astray if he wants to stand on the outside and be a counter punching spoiler :-0

Well,Ive said my piece on this one,and dont expect that any fight is a given before it has been had...... but Stiverne needs to own this guy in order to win. Wilder can get himself off balance an awful lot, so thats when i would expect he could be made to pat a hefty price......but if his chin is as good as his punch then Wilder has this i the bag.
Stiverne vs Wilder.  I don't think you guys and dolls are giving the Stiverne the respect he deserves.  I don't see it as upset if Stiverne wins:

http://www.boxing247.com/boxing-news/bermane-stiverne-vs-deontay-wilder-wbc-heavyweight-world-championship-grand-arrival-quotes/37451#more-37451
I'm sticking with Stiverne Wink Wilder's chin is a huge question mark and those wide loopy punches will be his downfall Big Grin
I think tinkering is an understatement Stormy (unless you mean it in the sense of the almighty swooping down and giving him several inches of height/reach and a chiseled physique)

I just think that Stiverne needs to be a lot trickier, have faster hands and better footwork to beat this guy. He can obviously punch, but can he get into position to get his punch there....
Daneo, my thoughts exactly.  If you look at him against Arreola and some others, Stiverne has almost as much power as Wilder.  But as you say, he's smaller but craftier.  Can he get to Wilder without getting hit himself?  We'll find out this weekend.
I think its 50/50 as alot of unknowens here. I follow Jamiesons view
(01-15-2015, 08:06 PM)bart Wrote: I think its 50/50 as alot of unknowens here. I follow Jamiesons view

I agree 50/50, Wilder may have improved under Breland and like all have said Wilder's power is legit, I just wonder about his chin
Nah, I got it Wilder the favourite.  Maybe 60/40.  I'd put the money on Wilder, but would understand if Stiverne wins.  I think that's about how the odds are, which jives with me. 
Love to see Wilder get hit just to see how he copes... may suprise everyone and prove his mettle. Somehow I feel Stiverne is mentally tougher therefore will come out on top but wont be shocked if im wrong