Parker vs Costa
True mippy.  Sir Bob Jones speaks out:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11370410

...and this:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11370303
(12-08-2014, 04:46 PM)mippy Wrote: Didnt Meehan say that he didn't want to right another Samoan?

hmmmm i recall him saying something about wanting to fight Tua???
He did say he wanted to fight Tua, but after looking at him and his weight at the Super 8, he said it would prove nothing, and we should just respect Tua for what he's accomplished.  Class.  Kali is Fijian/Kiwi, not Samoan, right?

KB said Stiverne is one of the three fighters Parker is targeting next year?  Why?  He's one of their sparring partners in Vegas, and he has a date with Wilder.  No need to fight Stiverne after Wilder KO's him.  And if Stiverne happens to beat Wilder, then he can fight Stiverne for the interim title.  Nope.  I say keep your mouth shut, KB, and keep Stiverne as a top sparring partner.
Parker punch punch of the year:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/63966793/Parker-punch-a-contender-for-KO-of-the-year
Criticism of Parker.  Please, leave the man alone!  He's fighting exactly who he needs to fight.

Old heads warn against Joseph Parker hype

RICHARD KNOWLER
Learning to filter the nous from the nonsense might be Joseph Parker's next biggest challenge.

Since the heavyweight boxer knocked out Brazilian Irineu Beato Costa Junior in Hamilton last Saturday night the excited chatter from his supporters has reached unprecedented levels.

After watching Parker stop his opponent in the fourth round, manager Kevin Barry boldly stated that in 12 months he wants Parker to be in the top 10 of each of the four major boxing association rankings and in the top five of at least one.

It was a comment which former manager Sir Bob Jones labelled "claptrap".

And it seems Sir Bob is not alone in questioning whether Barry is getting ahead of himself. New Zealand Boxing Association president Lance Revill joined Sir Bob in urging Barry to apply the handbrake to his fighter's career.

"They are blowing Joseph up a little early," Revill warned.

"There is great potential there but there is a long way to go. He is only 22. He is going to get there but he is only a baby when it comes to heavyweight boxing. I think they are hurrying him too quick."

Following the victory in Hamilton, an excited Barry listed three top-10 boxers he believed Parker was capable of beating.

That has Revill worried. As an ex-fighter himself, Revill says he knows boxers rarely disagree with their promoters, even when they know they could be mis-matched.

Joseph Parker lands a body shot on Irineu Beato Costa Junior during their Fight for Life bout in Hamilton.

"They say he [Parker] wants to be a millionaire at 30 but he is probably going to be anyway. What's the rush? There are a thousand guys in the world that he could be fighting . . . He probably hasn't matured yet. Let him put on his natural weight and don't fast-forward things too quickly."

Putting Parker into the ring against someone who could exploit his lack of maturity would do more than dent his confidence.

"Once he loses, he is exposed, people know his weaknesses and how to beat him. But we are not the ones who are managing him, or promoting him."

Renowned Porirua boxing trainer Chris Kenny, a former national coach and director of coaching, believes Barry is doing a good job but he urged caution.

"A kid with a bit of talent, you want to take him along gently. You don't want him to be tested now because if it was a real test, he might not like it. But at the moment he's getting blokes that, 80 per cent of them, he is going to knock over.

"Hopefully he won't get knocked over because he's our only hope at the moment."

Nelson's Les Rackley, who trained New Zealand teams between 1972-82, said Parker was yet to prove himself.

"His opponents are too soft. I'm sure he has got the talent but he needs to be matched with a bit more of a tougher opponent.

"I'm not blowing him down, I like the kid and I hope he goes a long way and wins a world title."

Rackley has little doubt Parker could financially set himself up for life if his promoters map out a logical career path.

"He has got a lovely physique, good fast hands but I can't say whether he can take a punch or not because he has never been hit. He has got everything there but we don't know if he can get through a 10 to 12-round fight.

"There are dozens of heavyweights who can really test him, there are a lot in Europe and Britain that could test him."

- The Press
An acute knowledgeable rendering of better boxing nous than duco promos and glory seeker KB.

KB's dream may eventuate if he just keeps matching Jo the way he is, it's the hype tripe that will do the damage. They're working the Nz gravy train to the max, time to take foot off the pedal and stop the claptrap.
KB and Parker are damned if they do, damned if they don't.  If Parker fights soft opposition, then he's proven nothing.  If he talks about fighting top ten opposition, then he's going too fast, and the hype that goes with it.  The article says both!

I originally thought that KB was pushing him too fast with Minto and Williams, but he's handled it well.  Very well.  So let KB hand pick a couple of top ten guys and see how he does.  Stay away from a Wilder, Stiverne, Tyson Fury, even Meehan.  But fight guys who suit his style, like Hammer, Briggs, Martin, de Mori.  That's what KB said he was going to do.  Let him do it.  Without all this crap criticism.
Tsk Tsk Die, have a lie down mate lol
I agree with Die - people critise for fighting bums and for pushing forward too fast... meaning u can't please everyone and wait till Joesph loses 1 fight all the I told u so's.
I thought Williams may be too tough but he was perfect workout- looks like - even if it annoys some, KB is handling Parker perfectly, better than anyone else could in my opinion.
The boy is good - not yet ready for world title talk but if matched well could be a contender 2015/16 at age 24ish . Wlad may be retired by then
If you read the press report Bart it seems obvious the majority agree with you on the competition level, it's just the hypo fast rapid buildup that rattles a few. No problem with who he is fighting, it's just what they're making of it.