Parker vs Costa
KB is doing wonderful work as JO's coach, we can see quality improvements each time out. They are on the open stage and up to be judged by the critics especially when the gobsmack is over the top. But its realistic to say Parker is improving fast under the tutelage of Kevin Barry, there seems no doubt KB will get him to be the best he can possibly be. Some others like Joseph Blackbourn and Lance Bryant come to mind as deserving novice pros could do with a break. New Zealand isn't without talent needing development for the world stage.
Duco and Super 8 guru John McRae could help put some of our fighters on the map, guys like Blackbourne, Bryant, Soi (from Samoa) and some of the other top fighters in NZ.  Berridge was doing well until his lack of skill caught up with him.  Post Tua, and Cameron, this is an exciting time for NZ pro boxing.
It will be interesting when Jo gets past this period of his buildup to where he's going. To the place waiting for him where the bullshit and hype are no longer important and the reality of the contender becomes genuine. A defeat for Jo at this stage or maybe further down the track wont necessarily be a bad thing, remember how Wlad got dropped early on but rose to become the best heavyweight in the world for a decade, and still improving. Wlad is still seen by many as having a glass chin even though he has seen victory in every fight since.  Cool

For me, Jo's got it all to prove, despite his management and coach projecting him to a position he hasn't yet reached the journey for him has only just begun. There is no wrong in any of us being staunchly pro-Jo, but we need keep it real.
Sham, we talk around a lot of stuff with Parker, but to be specific, who do you think he should fight?  Hand-picked top ten guys?  Guys with blown up records like Costa?  Give me 3 opponents for 2015.  I also don't know what you and others mean by hype.  Joe needs publicity to get the best fights.  To me, hype means that he's being billed as something he isn't.  When Colonel Bob says he's the next Ali, yes, that's hype, if not stupidity.  But what has Duco done that is hype?  OK, I can think of one.  Running there mouth about Parker fighting Cameron early in his career.  But other than that...and it's not Mr Higgins, it's mainly Lonergan.
Die, its easy to put yourself out there and say who Jo should Fight next, that is really up to the guy thats doing the matchmaking, we can only criticize who it is as you've done by remarking Costa had a blown up record, well said, I agree. KB, although being the perfect coach for Jo is probably the worst offender at hype. David Higgins is a gentleman, Dean Lonergan is a loud mouth. In a phonecall from Auckland this morning it was said to me 'why are they making so much fuss about Parker's achievements, they're padding his record, and despite looking classy against stiffs, they are projecting him as the next heavyweight phenomenon'.

To be honest Jo is going perfectly ok, as you've said yourself. Its boils down to KBs comments that in the next blink of an eye he will be world champ. I have asked KB to clarify some things, all done respectfully. He ignored me and deleted my post on fb, thats why I posted up my own status. I personally have nothing against Jo, he is putting money in the bank and stepping up to the mark. Like I said earlier, its a pity Blackbourne and Bryant can't get onto a gravy train and exploit their talents. Parker KB and Duco came to each other at just the right timing, and KB domiciled in the states in the bargain....
OK, Sham, all hype aside.  You are KB and Duco.  Who would you like for him to fight in his next three fights?  Or more generally if you want, what calibre of fighter? 

I'm no KB fan.  He's arrogant.  But he used his hype machine to get Tua fights he never would have gotten.  Mainly by running his mouth and challenging fighters. 

I just think that Parker is where he needs to be.  Sniffing in at the top ten, fighting guys that are competitive but good odds that he'll beat them.  In the top ten, there are guys, if matched right, that he could beat pretty convincingly.  And there's a few that he's not ready for at this stage in his career.  Future heavyweight champ?  Gotta see him fight some top 5 guys first.
Die, a leapai type of fighter could be a go, if not next time then soon after. Leapai would bring some action and that's what we want to see Jo handle. Dispatch leapai and he creates experienced punter respect. I don't believe he should get too far into the top ten too soon as the deeper he gets more will be demanded of him.
(12-10-2014, 04:33 PM)diehard Wrote: KB and Parker are damned if they do, damned if they don't.  If Parker fights soft opposition, then he's proven nothing.  If he talks about fighting top ten opposition, then he's going too fast, and the hype that goes with it.  The article says both!

I originally thought that KB was pushing him too fast with Minto and Williams, but he's handled it well.  Very well.  So let KB hand pick a couple of top ten guys and see how he does.  Stay away from a Wilder, Stiverne, Tyson Fury, even Meehan.  But fight guys who suit his style, like Hammer, Briggs, Martin, de Mori.  That's what KB said he was going to do.  Let him do it.  Without all this crap criticism.

this sound familiar folks??

http://www.boxingforum24.com/showthread.php?t=524429
yep stormy, but this guy is hot
(12-11-2014, 06:26 PM)shamrock Wrote: yep stormy, but this guy is hot

Hes saying he will knock Thompson out. No one, including Wlad, has ever done that to him. Thats a kind of pressure I wouldnt invite upon my fighter eh. AJ has some pretty big holes in his defense when he is on the attack....his speed can cover those sins for only so long eh. He is yet to fight a front footed attacker who has a kill or be killed mindset.....in other words a pressure fighter.