SBW vs Chauncey
lt'll be free to air.
In NZ? Interesting.
Sonny Bill already ducked Parker Dodgy stick to union Wink
&A: Chauncy Welliver

By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing
Photo: Dave Cameron

Former WBO-rated American heavyweight Chauncy “The Hillyard Hammer” Welliver (55-10-5, 22 KOs) talks to Fightnews.com about his January 31st showdown against Rugby Union and Rugby League football star Sonny Bill Williams (6-0, 3 KOs) at the All Phones Arena in Sydney, NSW, Australia.
Welliver says he is very confident of victory and also mentions that Williams’ best win over Frans Botha only happened because the South African was past his best. The American says that IBF #5, WBC #5,WBA #5 Lucas Browne who defeated him recently should get a world title shot and that he regards his own win over Lawrence Taussa as his best victory.
[Image: chauncy-300-400.jpg]
You are scheduled to clash with Sonny Bill Williams in Sydney over ten rounds on January 31. He’s had only six professional fights but holds a win over former world champ Frans Botha. Have you seen the Williams vs. Botha fight. Your thoughts?
I have watched it and must say I was impressed with Sonny Bill Williams in that fight for being so green and fighting an old pro so good, but the key word in all that is old. Botha five years prior mops the floor with Sonny Bill Williams.
You have won 55 fights from 70 ring outings and you have boxed at world class level. Are you confident of victory?
1000%. I’ve taken a few fights this past year with little to no training. I will give team SBW that, they had the honor to give me time to get ready.
In your most recent fights you weighed in 137kg (300lbs plus). Do you expect to be lighter for the January 31 fight?
Much. As I said, I’ve been unmotivated boxing lately and have done zero training in the last few years. My weight is dropping as we speak and though I won’t be close to what I was in 2012, I’ll be a great weight for this late stage of my life.
You dropped a decision to world rated Alexander Ustinov in your most recent bout but were stopped by highly ranked Lucas Browne. Your thoughts on Ustinov and Browne. How good are they? Can they win world titles?
It’s so hard to gauge how good they are with how bad of shape I showed up in but I can say this… for Browne I at least had about 10 days to train, Ustinov, 0. Even with no training I went the rounds with Ustinov. I think Lucas is the better fighter between the two. I can see both getting title shots as they both have great teams behind them. Ustinov has Vlad Hrunov who knows how to move a guy to the top. Browne has a “Dream Team” behind him with Fenech, Hatton, Fondu and Matt Clark. Gonna be fun watching his progression.
You have been a sparring partner to Wladimir Klitschko and it was reported you gave him some difficult days in the gym. Any other big name heavyweights you worked with?
I was in with Tyson years ago. Here’s a few more. David Tua, Shane Cameron, Juan Carlos Gomez, Shannon Briggs and countless other champions and Olympians.
Juan Carlos Gomez was the best I’ve been in with by far, but, there was one training camp I went to with Shane Cameron. He was supposed to fight Kelvin Davis that fight. That was the best fighter ever. Shane had me telling myself, ‘screw this! I’m not coming back tomorrow.’ Haha. Thankfully I did and we had many more sessions.
You hold wins over Bert Cooper, Rob Calloway, Billy Zumbrun and King Ipitan. Who do you regard as your best win?
My best win in my mind was Lawrence Tauasa. A year before we fought I said “HELL NO” to fighting him. He is a slickster and hard to catch. A nightmare for anybody. I had a fight in China and my opponent fell through. I had been training awesome and would have fought anybody this night. Lawrence’s name came up and I knew it would be great timing, hopefully he was sitting on the couch. Haha. So we accepted and I got the win.
You made your professional debut at 18 years of age in 2001 scoring a KO win in your hometown in Washington. Did you box as an amateur? Did you come from a boxing family?
I had 84 rights in the unpaid ranks. Good success but no great opposition to brag up. As for family, yes, my brother Dewey was a great talent, 1998 international junior Olympic champ! Dewey was/is my hero. He pushed me to be my best.
Are you currently living in New Zealand where you have had several fights?
I’m in America now. Running a very successful boxing/fitness gym in my hometown, Spokane, Washington. My wife and I have been talking about moving to New Zealand in the next few years. My dreamland. We’ll see.
What would you like to say to your fans reading on Fightnews?
Please watch January 31. Don’t let looks be deceiving. I am a fat guy but can go rounds. I’m ready for 4-6-8-1000 rounds of boxing. This fight is the biggest I’ve had due to his fame and one thing I can assure, in training and the fight, you will get my 100%!
I like big Chauncey, he always comes across very well. I think he has good chance in this.
Sonny Bill Williams’ boxing opponent Chauncy Welliver confident of victory

DUNCAN JOHNSTONE

Last updated 15:00, December 30 2014Share

[Image: 1419904014681.jpg]Getty Images
FIGHTING TALK: Chauncy Welliver says he is "1000 per cent" sure he will beat Sonny Bill Williams.

Vastly experienced American heavyweight boxer Chauncy Welliver has promised to be in shape for his clash with Sonny Bill Williams and is "1000 per cent" sure  he will beat the All Blacks star.
Code-swapper Williams makes his long-awaited return to the ring against Welliver in Sydney on January 31, ending a two-year absence since his controversial points win over South African veteran Frans Botha.

Welliver is a well-respected journeyman with 70 fights to his name, including 55 wins. He shapes as a genuine test for Williams who is unbeaten after six fights.
Welliver, who has spent considerable time in New Zealand but is now based in Washington, is never a great look physically and weighed 137kg for his last fight against Alexander Ustinov in Moscow last month.
Welliver lost a unanimous decision over eight rounds to the Belarusian giant. But it's worth noting that Ustinov ended the career of David Tua last year and Welliver was a late call-up, fighting just a month after being forced out in the fifth round against rising Australian heavyweight Lucas Browne due to a suspected fractured left eye socket.
Asked if he could beat Williams, Welliver didn't hold back.

"1000 per cent," the 31-year-old Welliver told Fightnews.com, believing he had the preparation time to make a difference in a fight that could be defining for him.
"I've taken a few fights this past year with little to no training. I will give team SBW that, they had the honour to give me time to get ready.
"I am going to show up in shape and I got a little bit of a treat for him.
"I've already started training, already started my dieting, I'm tearing the house down. I've been unmotivated boxing lately and have done zero training in the last few years. My weight is dropping as we speak and though I won't be close to what I was in 2012, I'll be a great weight for this late stage of my life. Beating Sonny Bill Williams gives me something to retire on."
Welliver had no doubt that he had the experience to beat Williams. His professional career came after 84 fights as an amateur. He's made good money in the sparring ring too, working with Wladimir Klitschko, Mike Tyson, Tua, Shane Cameron, Juan Carlos Gomez, and Shannon Briggs.
Welliver said there would be little surprise in the Williams approach given the athletic differences between the two fighters.
"You know me being a bigger guy, I expect [Sonny Bill Williams] to run and run," Welliver said, adding that running a boxing and fitness gym was also motivating him.
He gave credit to Williams for taking on Botha, a fight he had watched.
"I must say I was impressed with Sonny Bill Williams in that fight for being so green and fighting an old pro so good, but the key word in all that is old. Botha five years prior mops the floor with Sonny Bill Williams."
Welliver had a parting message for fight fans: "Don't let looks be deceiving. I am a fat guy but can go rounds. I'm ready for 4-6-8-10 rounds of boxing. This fight is the biggest I've had due to his fame and one thing I can assure, in training and the fight, you will get my 100 per cent."
 - Stuff.co.nz
Chauncy would need a good diet the first....
those some sizable jugs fersure. still, be an interesting bout if chauncey can get his cardio working.
Got a message from Chauncy saying he was doing some intense cardio and sparring in Spokane.  If he's in shape, I give it an even bout.
tell Chauncey that too much cardio work is not good for fat loss. He needs a good diet yes,and exercise etc yes, but too much cardio inhibits fat loss. jus sayin homie