Heavyweight Division
Minto is JPs biggest name opponent Die, he was injured....took longer than Whyte to subdue him even tho he didn't engage. Fight was a farce!!
(09-20-2015, 05:43 PM)diehard Wrote: Jamieson, you had asked in a previous post about Whyte using the Minto fight to get ready for Joshua.  I'm just replying that he couldn't because his fight with ??? fell thru at the last minute, and then drafted in Minto, who is nothing like Joshua.  

Would Parker fight Whyte?  In a heart beat.  I just don't rate Whyte that highly.  He has power, and is big, but is out of shape and easy to hit.  Parker would destroy him, just like AJ will.

Who has he fought?  Minto has been his toughest opponent.  To use your words, his rep should be based on merit, not potential:

http://boxrec.com/boxer/569964

I was suggesting that Whyte should have used the Minto fight to work on things instead of swinging for the fences. Get in a few rounds, work of the jab, foot and head movement etc.

I highly doubt Parker would fight Whyte at this stage. I agree that Joshua wins, but it's 3 months until the fight, Whyte will be in top condition.

He has fought similar guys to Parker and he has destroyed their common opponents.

My words were: Rankings should be based on achievement and what you have done not potential. Neither of these guys are ranked so I'm not sure what your getting at.

Whyte dominated Joshua in the amateurs, doesn't count for much in the pros but it's something, especially having hurt him and put him down.

What are you basing 'Parker will destroy him" on? Whyte has been more impressive against their common opponents.
Love talking to you, Jamieson! Even Sham says he likes the debates. I'm not talking about Whyte being more impressive against common opponents. I'm basing my opinion on Whyte being so easy to hit by Minto, a guy very much past his prime. And not just easy to hit, and slow, but Minto was hitting him with some power shots. As I said, he was just too small. Parker (and Meehan) are not.

No, you're right, Parker, AJ, Whyte aren't ranked. I was basing my assessment on Whyte's fight with Minto. Not Whyte's "potential" to get in better shape, have better footwork, and have better defence. So I was basing it on performance against Minto. Truth be told, I've never seen Whyte fight before this, and I hope he is a lot better than what I saw. We need big, tough, heavy hitters in the game.
Lol smart work Die. That's why you're admin..
(09-20-2015, 07:02 PM)diehard Wrote: Love talking to you, Jamieson!  Even Sham says he likes the debates.  I'm not talking about Whyte being more impressive against common opponents.  I'm basing my opinion on Whyte being so easy to hit by Minto, a guy very much past his prime.  And not just easy to hit, and slow, but Minto was hitting him with some power shots.  As I said, he was just too small.  Parker (and Meehan) are not.  

No, you're right, Parker, AJ, Whyte aren't ranked.  I was basing my assessment on Whyte's fight with Minto.  Not Whyte's "potential" to get in better shape, have better footwork, and have better defence.  So I was basing it on performance against Minto.  Truth be told, I've never seen Whyte fight before this, and I hope he is a lot better than what I saw.  We need big, tough, heavy hitters in the game.

I too enjoy the debate.

Look at what Nascimento did to Parker. He was hurting him. Whyte pretty much just blew him out and made him quit. Almost every time Whyte touched him he went down.

My thinking is Whyte just wanted to go in there against Minto and score a big KO to start the buzz for the Joshua fight.

Have a look at the Whyte vs Joshua amateur fight, it was Whyte's first am bout and I think Joshua's 4th. Joshua looks a completely different fighter now though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDSH8cXtFRQ
Nascimento was early in Parker's career. Very different fighter now. Have to remember that they were on the same card, and I'm sure Whyte wanted AJ to see what he was in for. Same for AJ with Whyte watching. Did seem to me in the Whyte interview that he was impressed with what AJ did to Cornish even though he didn't admit it. Just his attitude about it.

Thanx for the Whyte vs Joshua video. I'll have a look tonite. A bit surprised that Whyte isn't listed in any of the alphabets rankings, seeing as how Parker, AJ, Ruiz, and a few other undefeated guys are. That is, if THEY are basing it on potential!
Whyte had a 2 yr ban and only returned in 2014, that could be a reason. I'm looking forward to the bout. I love seeing undefeated prospects battling it out.
Just saw the video. Thanks. Yep, Whyte definitely got the best of him there. Both were very wild. Very different today.
Yes thanks for the video J. As I saw it .Even though he lost AJ had the better purportment of the two and was better structured but he looked gangly like a younger version at his height would be expected to look. Whyte more compact and swinging for the trees but strong enough to be a worry.

AJ has had the schooling and the fuss and buildup in all the right places similar to Parker but but more ostensibly probably... Whyte had two years out of circulation, I'm expecting AJ to dominate this fight.. he is more together now than before and has been taught to use his height to dominate. All and all you can see why Klitsckho favors him as the next slice of toast.
I'm expecting AJ to avoid Whyte's wild shots and punish him (Whyte looks very open to the counter) for 2-3 rounds before he puts him away.
Best case scenario, is Whyte lands a beauty or two, and we get to see what AJ's chin is like.
If he's got a good chin, god help everyone else