Ward v Kovalev in 2 weeks time
Kovalev threw ythat fight away,  he had a huge lead and a hurt opponent and he went to sleep at the wheel.

I thought 114-113 either way was fair but feel Ward beats him easier in II

Ward swept the last 4 rounds for me an there were a couple of rounds in the middle of the fight that were extremely close pick em rounds.

Kovalev started amazingly looking too big, strong and who would of thought too quick as well.

Ever so slowly Ward started beating him to the punch and Kovalev was actually on the back foot with Ward doing the pressuring. Ward was never hurting Kovalev but he was making him miss and making him pay.
Of course kovalev slowed down he fought an exhausting physical fight ragdolling ward whenever he clinched so as to avoid getting held and hit, held and low blow ed, held and headbutted.

I knew after 2 rounds He would tire in the second half and his speed would drop.

If it was not in America and kovalev wouldn't have to worry about the dirty stuff he would have been fresh a lot later in the fight.
Kovalev was instigating most of the holding which was the annoying part, I actually wanted Kovalev to win especially after the KD, and when Ward started nicking rounds Iwas getting worried about a robbery.

In the end the rounds started adding up to big numbers so I don't think Kovalev has anyone but himself to blame

Maybe himself and JDJ. John David Jackson needed to give him a kick up the ass. I thought Hunter gave far clearer instructions and made Ward realize he needed to win everything from 9 on and he did.

After this fight I am actually thinking GGG might actually give both of these guy a go

He is nearly the same size as Ward, closer to Ward than Ward is to Kovalev. He hits bloody hard has a great chin and keeps coming. He would out work both of them that's for sure.
I had Kovalev up 116-111. Gave the first 4 rounds to Kovalev, and roughly split the next 8 for a 8-4 rounds for Kovalev, with the KD in the second. Can't believe he had 3 US judges. That's Kovalev's fought. Team Kovalev should never have agreed to that.

Even Virgil Hill, Ward's trainer, was acting like Ward lost.
Kovalev-Ward Post Fight Press Conference

By Miguel Maravilla

Newly crowned WBA, WBO, and IBF light heavyweight champion Andre Ward and former champ Sergey Kovalev spoke to the press after Ward’s narrow unanimous decision victory on Saturday night in Las Vegas.

Sergey Kovalev: “Thanks for your support. I am happy about peoples’ opinion but I think I won this fight. Of course, I am disappointed but life is still good. The fight was more clearer than the decision. I don’t agree with the decision.

“Everybody saw what happened. Look at his face, look at my face. I didn’t think I won the fight because I hurt him first but because I kept controlling the fight, but he kept running from me. Let’s make the second fight!”

Kovalev’s promoter Kathy Duva: “I feel like I have mixed emotions. We had a great fight. It’s what boxing needed but we did not deserve this decision. It’s a shame two guys fought their hearts out but this is not the decision. I am pissed like I was when Pernell got robbed against Chavez.

“We have the right for an immediate rematch and we will get them in the ring. It will be immediate.”

Andre Ward: “It was a good night tonight. I would love to have every fight a shutout but you have to win a lot of fights like this. We had a tough fight and we did what champions do and that is get off the canvas. I have been in some tough fights. He knocked me down. I really wasn’t hurt. It was a flash knockdown, and over the rounds I feel I broke him down. I got up tonight and then I went to take the fight to him. The urgency forced me to step on the gas more.

“Virgil did a great job of telling me we needed every single round. I feel I needed every round and leave no doubt.

“I have never ducked or dodged anyone but we are going to entertain all best offers. A second fight would be a lot more clear cut because I have been in with him.”

Virgil Hunter (Ward’s trainer): “Sergey had certain tendencies he was aggressive but he fought on his back foot. He did not want to fight on the inside and left himself open for clean punches and that’s what made the difference.”

Michael Yormark (Ward’s promoter): “Tonight we saw a great fight between Andre and Sergey. I couldn’t be more proud of him. He is the new champion.”
Judges Swayed – Give Ward the Decision

Paul Strauss - November 20, 2016 41 Comments

Sad affair saturday night at Vegas’ T-Mobile Arena. Expectations were high. Fans hoped for a classic matchup. What they got was an attempted mugging and resulting robbery. To call Andre Ward’s efforts scientific would be ill-judged, which is what happened with the decision in Ward’s favor.

One simple way to tell who won the fight is to look at each fighter’s face. Andre Ward’s was red, lumpy and swollen. The Krusher’s face was relatively unmarked.

Another way to tell who won is to the replay and watch Ward’s surprised reaction at the announced decision. A third way is to watch the dam fight, which is something the judges apparently failed to do. They were dug in deep, shielded from the action by the pre-fight hype about Ward and the crowd noise emphasizing anything SOG did.

Hall of Fame journalist Larry Merchant was caught leaving the arena and was asked about the fight. He felt Kovalev won the fight and was robbed. When asked if he wanted to see a rematch, he said no. Who would want to see that again! As usual, Larry is right. The fight started with Sergey “Krusher” Kovalev taking control. He controlled the distance and surprised Andre SOG Ward with his ability to tag him. Ward tried to counter, but in the second round he fell for one of the Krusher’s traps. Krusher landed a few jabs, using one as a decoy. It got Andre to start a counter right hand. But, the Krusher beat him to the punch with his own hard right. Down went Ward! Everyone in the arena, with the exception of Kovalev’s corner, was READ  Sergey Kovalev vs Andre Ward - Video Preview & Prediction
Kovalev immediately pressed his advantage, and landed several more punishing shots. However, Ward managed to make it to the bell. The effect of the knockdown stayed with Andre for several rounds, rounds where the advantage for Kovalev was apparent.

Ward tried repeatedly to rough up Kovalev. He would either feint or get under a Kovalev punch, and drive forward with his lowered left should aimed at the Krusher’s midsection. From there he would attempt to bring his head up. But, Kovalev derailed his attempts by collaring him. Referee Robert Byrd warned Kovalev about pushing Ward’s head down, but he never told Ward to keep his head up?

As the fight progressed, Ward did get into a better rhythm, but the Krusher continued to land the harder, more telling blows. However, the crowd was with Ward, so everything that looked at all like a punch landing brought cheers and oohs and ahas from the biased crowd, which undoubtedly helped sway the ringside judges. Add that to the mystic Ward brought into the ring, his Olympic Gold medal and undefeated record extending back to when he was twelve.

The coupling of these two things made it impossible for the judges to vote any other way. So, they came to a hard to swallow three way agreement at 114-113 for Ward. It was cringeworthy. Ward struts away with his “0” intact and Kovalev’s three belts, the WBA, WBO and IBF. Kovalev does have rematch clause in the contract, but does anyone think that’s something Ward will be in a hurry to honor? Don’t count on it.

Does this miscarriage mean Ward is the new P4P? The answer should be a resounding no! Instead of strutting away, Ward should slink away, not because he didn’t display toughness, courage and resiliency. He was in rough shape after the 2nd round knockdown, but there was no quit in him. He drew on his champion’s heart and made a fight of it, though an ugly one. It was definitely not a classic.

Kovalev was asked if he wanted a rematch? He quickly exhibited a smile, or maybe better described as a sneer. He said, “yes”! You got the feeling he meant right then to continue the beat down. When asked how he would tackle things in the rematch, he quickly added, “I will kick his ass”, which is what he had just finished doing. If only the judges didn’t have on blinders. What they have done is put an asterisk by the decision. Controversial will always be part of any genuine discussion about this win for Ward.

SOG and his mentor Virgil Hunter have already conjured up a belief that they deserve the decision. will clench the three belts, imprisoning them for the foreseeable future. Don’t kid yourself, there isn’t going to be a rematch anytime soon. Sadly, it may never happen. Kovalev deserves better. He deserves three belts on his way to get a fourth from Adonis “Chickenson” Stevenson. It might take three belts of another kind to get over this one.
The million styles boxing guy has a great analysis of the fight up
That article does a good job of summing up the robbery.
Barry 'million styles' Robinson also thinks Kovalev won , as it seems most everyone else did aside from the judges
I was pretty disappointed , the result spoiled the fight for me
Stats show Kovalev beat Ward

Main Events - November 22, 2016 0 Comments

Las Vegas, Nevada: In the wake of the controversial unanimous decision victory for Andre Ward over former WBO, WBA and IBF Light Heavyweight Champion Sergey “Krusher” Kovalev on Saturday night which most writers, commentators, and media scored a decisive Kovalev victory, Compubox released the breakdown of their punch stats for the November 19 megafight.

Factoring in the second round knockdown, Kovalev would have taken the fight based on total punches landed, total punches thrown, power punches landed, power punches thrown, accuracy of power punches or jabs thrown. Scoring based on jabs landed would have resulted in a draw. The only metric that could have handed Ward the victory was accuracy, but he was only more accurate in throwing jabs on a round-by-round basis.

Particularly glaring is the tenth round, which all three judges scored for Ward, though it looked like a clear Kovalev round according to the Compubox stats. In the tenth round, Kovalev significantly out-landed and out-threw Ward in total punches, jabs and power punches. Had all three judges scored the tenth round for Sergey, Kovalev would have won the fight 114-113.

Main Events CEO Kathy Duva said, “I thought Sergey won the fight sitting ringside and it looks like the Compubox stats bear that out. The judges gave every close round to the challenger instead of the champion, plus the tenth round which wasn’t even close. Sergey has asked for an immediate rematch. As far as we are concerned, he won the first fight and he will win the second fight too.”