Parker vs Ruiz for WBO
Thought I'd start this thread:

t’s official. Parker versus Ruiz for vacant WBO title in New Zealand

By David Finger

The biggest story out of the WBO Convention in San Juan Puerto Rico came this morning at the championship and ratings committee meeting. Although there was talk of a possible four-man tournament to fill the recently vacated heavyweight title, which was surrendered by Tyson Fury, Carl Moretti of Top Rank and Parker’s promoter Dean Lonergan announced that the box off was not necessary. They announced that there was an agreement reached for #3 ranked Andy Ruiz to take on #1 Joseph Parker in New Zealand in December and that the winner would accept any mandatory set forth by the WBO for their first title defense.

“The winner of this fight will fight anyone that the WBO decrees to fight next,” Moretti said.

When asked if this included a 120-day deadline both Moretti and Lonergan said that was more than acceptable.

“We are happy with that,” Lonergan said before Moretti added that a 120-day deadline for a mandatory was “no problem.”

Promoter Frank Warren was agreeable as well, asking that the WBO mandate that the winner fight #4 ranked David Haye in that 120-day time frame. He also asked that Tyson Fury be considered as a mandatory after he was medically fit to return to boxing.

“I’m very happy with that,” Lonergan added when asked about a mandatory defense against Tyson Fury upon his return.

The WBO Championship Committee voted unanimously to approve Ruiz and Parker for the vacant WBO heavyweight title, ending speculation as to the status of the vacant heavyweight title.
This is great news for Boxing NZ... well done Duco!!
Where does Andy Ruiz Jr sit in terms of the opponents that either Parker or Joshua has faced? I'd say he's the most talented boxer Joe has faced, but not as good overall as Takam. Is he better than say Breazeale, Charles Martin or Dillian Whyte? Ruiz vs any of those guys would be actual 50/50 fights to me.

What do you guys think?
Ruiz jr is kind of like Charles Martin before the AJ fight, we don't know how good he is/isn't

BTW telegraph are reporting David Haye will be the mandatory for the winner of this fight.
(10-21-2016, 12:30 PM)Infern0 Wrote: Ruiz jr is kind of like Charles Martin before the AJ fight, we don't know how good he is/isn't

BTW telegraph are reporting David Haye will be the mandatory for the winner of this fight.

How did Haye get to be the WBO mandatory over Klit, who's #2 when Haye is #4?

Ruiz is better than Martin, Whyte, and Breazeale. I'd put him at Takam's level, but a different type of fighter. Ruiz comes at you all nite, and has average boxing skills but great power whereas Takam has excellent boxing skills and average power for a counter puncher.
In saying that Ruiz has great power, he hasn't really KO'd guys who were very good in his last 10 fights or so:

http://boxrec.com/boxer/489762
(10-21-2016, 12:34 PM)diehard Wrote:
(10-21-2016, 12:30 PM)Infern0 Wrote: Ruiz jr is kind of like Charles Martin before the AJ fight, we don't know how good he is/isn't

How did Haye get to be the WBO mandatory over Klit, who's #2 when Haye is #4?

Ruiz is better than Martin, Whyte, and Breazeale. I'd put him at Takam's level, but a different type of fighter. Ruiz comes at you all nite, and has average boxing skills but great power whereas Takam has excellent boxing skills and average power for a counter puncher.

Haye isn't the mandatory now. If Wlad wins the WBA, then that would remove him from the WBO rankings I would think. Haye would then be the mandatory (unless Fury comes back in that time), as Wlad is out of the rankings.

I'd put Takam ahead of all the other opponents, inc Ruiz. I think Ruiz's power is less than it's made out to be.
Also depends what Ruiz shows up, when he's not quite obese he's good, I've got a feeling he will come in weighing 150kg and fall over early though.
Geez you're getting cynical InfernO. You honestly think Ruiz will do a Martin?
(10-21-2016, 12:53 PM)NakiFan Wrote: Geez you're getting cynical InfernO. You honestly think Ruiz will do a Martin?

It's hard not to be when Duco are involved. Theres always some kind of seediness in their fights.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised though