If Parker wins the heavyweight title is he our best ever sportsman
Personally I think so.
Not if he just beats Ruiz to the WBO belt. No way.

Now, if he were to win and then unify all the belts, that's a different question...
Nope. We just have so many outstanding sportsmen in NZ, past and present. He would become our greatest boxer, probably, but unless he unifies them, and holds them for a good stint, then possibly he could be call a G.O.A.T.
I'll just be happy if he gets the respect he deserves for being a really good young heavy.
Certainly not by beating The chubby mexican, he's not even NZ best ever boxer. Tua's resume is much, much better.
(10-05-2016, 09:43 AM)NakiFan Wrote: Nope. We just have so many outstanding sportsmen in NZ, past and present. He would become our greatest boxer, probably, but unless he unifies them, and holds them for a good stint, then possibly he could be call a G.O.A.T.

What would need to do to eclipse richie
(10-05-2016, 12:52 PM)Infern0 Wrote:
(10-05-2016, 09:43 AM)NakiFan Wrote: Nope. We just have so many outstanding sportsmen in NZ, past and present. He would become our greatest boxer, probably, but unless he unifies them, and holds them for a good stint, then possibly he could be call a G.O.A.T.

What would need to do to eclipse richie

I'll answer that, win 3 rugby world cups :-)
I can think of a huge number of names that could be placed on a list that would be extremely hard to pick between them... hence the debate every year the Halberg awards role around.
I have no doubt Parker will do well in his career, but he needs to win at least 1 belt and have a fighting career taking on the best.
Beating Andy Ruiz doesn't take him past Tua for me either. Ruiz could have HOF career but at the moment his resume is piss weak. 

Ruiz isn't even no2 contender though so if he beats Wlad in Germany for the title he passes Tua easily IMO.

How far could Tua have gone with a team like Duco behind him? I suppose Tua had final eliminators against Byrd and Rahman which he didn't win so it wasn't just management issues that stalled his career. Rahman and Byrd are solid fighters though, he could have found an easier path surely m
David fought in the states against some big names in boxing history when the HW division was real.. David put NZ on the map and made a lot of nz people interested in boxing, those people are now following parker in huge numbers..Tua changed the face of boxing in NZ forever..