Boxing: Professionals to be allowed at Olympics
WTF?????

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/olympics/news/article.cfm?c_id=502&objectid=11648970&ref=rss
I just don't see anyone of note having a crack at Rio. While a few 'names' have said it would be great, they are or have already made dates for their next fights during Rio, basically announcing their plans.
(06-01-2016, 11:56 PM)justafan Wrote: WTF?????

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/olympics/news/article.cfm?c_id=502&objectid=11648970&ref=rss
The AIBA have done a great job in destroying amateur boxing over the last few years, especially in NZ. This is actually very personal for me being an amateur "Olympic Style" boxing coach. ANY coach who participates in professional boxing and or corporates not aligned with Boxing NZ can not be in the corner for an amateur fighter. NZ has lost a number of its best amateur coaches to this stupid rule. Some that ardently enforce this rule have broken it themselves and continue to ban others - stooping as low as photographing coaches in the corner and reporting them to the AIBA. To be totally hypocritical the AIBA will now allow professional boxers to compete at the Olympics while their coaches were not allowed in the corner of other amateur boxers. Take a bow AIBA you are a bunch of corrupt clowns. What happened to the ethos of protecting boxers ?

Now a dangerous twisted alphabet in boxing. Amateur boxing has degenerated over the past ten years. What used to be an organization set apart with safeguards for the young is being destroyed while we watch.
Absolutely thoughtless and stupid by AIBA. I understand the financial gains by doing this, but why are they rushing it into Rio and why haven't they thought this out properly??

There are so many differences in these two sports, from the competitors, the trainers, the rules, and to the officials.

The Amateur sport as we know it will change forever now, and gone are those days of kids doing this sport for the discipline and honour of representing you country.

And don't even get me started on the Medical Associations reaction to this!!!

Bye Bye Amateur Boxing.
All true Dannyboy, the days as we knew it are gone forever mate. You gunna let your kids box?
I honestly don't see the big deal, the super stars of pro boxing aren't going to fight for free so won't compete.
We will just see a lot of nearly men go back and seek glory, there are already a lot of late 20's amateurs who haven't turned pro that are dominating kids.

I'm all for it, the Olympics should be about the best competing against the best, so anyone should be able to compete if they are good enough.

Some guys from poorer nations can't afford to stay amateur because of a lack of funding. Blocking pro's is a stupid rule that means the richer countries or countries with better funding dominate.
Rediculous. Aside from all the safety concerns how is it going to look if a pro loses to an amateur? I can't believe it passed unanimously
(06-03-2016, 04:50 PM)The Fly Wrote: Rediculous. Aside from all the safety concerns how is it going to look if a pro loses to an amateur? I can't believe it passed unanimously

There will definitely be pro's losing to am's, I don't see the big deal? Just because you turn pro it don't give you super powers?
I don't see it being a safety concern at all, I actually think there will be less mismatches because of it.
To represent amateur a boxer has to qualify through his or her country's, how are disgruntled pros going to qualify? ?