The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 862 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 862 errorHandler->error

Wilder vs Stiverne, January 17th
Wilder, Stiverne trade jabs on teleconference

By David Finger
For boxing fans, and in particular heavyweight boxing fans, January 17th is already shaping up to be one of the most anticipated heavyweight fights since the Tyson era. Hard punching Haitian Bermane “B. Ware” Stiverne (24-1-1, 21 KOs) takes on the #1 ranked Deontay “The Bronze Bomber” Wilder (32-0, 32 KOs) in a fight that pits two devastating punchers in the ring for Stiverne’s WBC title. It has all the makings of a coming out party…with the winner likely to emerge as the most talked about North American fighter in the world. And it was clear after a telephone conference last week that both fighters were already throwing bombs.
“January 17 will be a short night,” WBC champion Bermane Stiverne said early in the press conference, “A short, painful night.”
Stiverne’s manager, Camille Estephan also seemed unimpressed with Wilder’s glossy record. “(He’s) 32-0, 32 knockouts…against who? !” Estephan said when discussing Wilder’s record. “We believe this is a choreographed career.”
However, the hard punching challenger was unimpressed. “The things I do, I make the mind play tricks on you!” Wilder said when asked why he didn’t seem to get the credit that his record would seemingly merit, “It’s unbelievable how it happened like that! But on January 17th we’ll find out. They are going off of one opponent. I have one opponent, Malik Scott, who would beat every single opponent he beat!”
Although most boxing insiders are predicting a slugfest, Stiverne refused to make any predictions. “Instead of telling you about it here, I will show you…Don’t blink!”
Wilder, who has yet to make it past the fourth round in any of his professional fights, dismissed questions about his endurance or ability to take the fight into the later rounds. “I’m not an amateur boxer,” Wilder added. “I know my skills and my ability. The hard work is done in the gym. Nothing has ever been given to me. I’ve had to work for everything I’ve ever gotten. I don’t know what the easy road is. There is nothing in the back of my mind about going past four rounds. We can go back to 15 if you want.”
Wilder also refused to make a firm prediction, although he made it abundantly clear that he remained confident going into the fight.
“The best man of the night will win,” Wilder added, “and I already know who is the best man. It’s my time to make history. I’m giving American their next heavyweight world champion. I’m on my way to becoming the heavyweight champion of the world, I’ve had to work hard for it and it’s my time…I have heard nothing but excuses for my 32 wins by KO and when I get 33, I don’t want to hear anything about it!”
The fight will be at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas Nevada, with tickets starting at $50 and going up to $500 for ringside.

Messages In This Thread
Wilder vs Stiverne, January 17th - diehard - 12-23-2014, 10:45 AM