Joseph Parker
I would suggest the level of Takam falls within the "more appropriate opponents" group where JP needs to fight. The only thing concerning people is that this fight propels him into a title shot.
Veritas, Sham. What would you do differently if you were Duco?
First of all, there are definitely criticisms I agree with. Going on to fight Martz was a HUGE waste of time as he was nothing more than a bean pole punching bag. Likewise Bergman was really a disappointing choice for a southpaw opponent and JP his performance was quite frankly poor. I also agree that the fight with Sherman Williams showed that JP had difficulty dealing with a durable savvy veteran who knew when and how to tie up their opponent and also that the one flush overhand right that connected definitely buckled JP at the knees.

But what does "exposed" mean exactly?

Does it mean winning every round according to 2/3 judges apart from one judge who gave an incomprehensible scorecard of 97-94, and who quite co-incidentally hasn't been asked back to judge any other fights?

Does it mean having his opponent in trouble no less than 3 times during his then 10th fight, but not being able to finish the job? Would a rematch have really been of much benefit?

And iirc, Meehan was actually ranked around 35 no boxrec before his fight with JP. Up until Martz, I actually thought the match-making was coming along nicely. Personally would like to have seen people like Ustinov or Wach as tall options or Pianeta or even Mansour or Mike Perez as the southpaw opponents, though I reckon Perez would have been a huge risk given JP's difficulty with Bergman.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/news/77567248/invercargill-in-boxing-stoush-with-france-for-parkertakam-bout
(03-07-2016, 02:26 PM)Yanni Wrote: the one flush overhand right that connected definitely buckled JP at the knees.

Link to this?
(03-07-2016, 05:08 PM)Msreef Wrote:
(03-07-2016, 02:26 PM)Yanni Wrote: the one flush overhand right that connected definitely buckled JP at the knees.  

Link to this?

Depends if people think "exposed" is equal to "making a mistake while learning", which is why I'm asking the question.  If it is, then sure, I just think people are using the wrong word. 

To me when people say "exposed", it means more that it's shown they're out of their depth like David Price was when he lost to T Thompson twice and Erkan Teper as well, even though he was prolly juiced the f up.  But it's clear to me that JP at least has the talent/potential to succeed at the top.  Whether he does or not is another question.
Takam will answer the question, so I'm not sure why everyone seems polarised on the issue.
Tua and AJ did not face better opposition than Parker before their 20th fight. Why is JP being held to a different standard?
(03-07-2016, 06:42 PM)diehard Wrote: Tua and AJ did not face better opposition than Parker before their 20th fight.  Why is JP being held to a different standard?

Because people don't like the amount of attention he receives. If he flew under the radar and wasn't talked up as much by his promoters and the casual NZ public, then those people would probably jump on board and back him a bit more.
Right on the button monkey, it goes along the lines of something called realism. But as already said, the bout with Takam just might bring some credibility to the scene but judging by the opposition to any other avenue of opinion I doubt no matter what the outcome of the fight we'll see much difference.