Joseph Parker
Negatives:
-laboured to a TKO of a guy others (tupou, aguilera)have finished in a few rounds.

Positives:
-got his chin checked a couple times early on
-got some rounds in against a southpaw/ got to practice his body shots
-guessing that other contenders will be less intimidated by Joe's power after that performance, should make Stu's job a little easier
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/76188484/Joseph-Parker-will-end-the-myth-that-is-Anthony-Joshua-says-Dean-Lonergan

Aside from all of the rubbish Lonegen is spinning here, he does say that JP's next opponent will probably be his highest independently ranked so far (meaning on Boxrec). From memory Kali was 31 when they fought, so it would have to come from the top 30, that's good news at least and should rule out Madungo.

As available opponents in the top 30 go, that doesn't leave all that many for ChCh:

- Malik Scott
- Antonio Tarver
- Steve Cunningham
- Carlos Takam
- Tony Thompson
- Tomasz Adamek
- Christian Hammer
- Mike Perez
- Andriy Fedesov
- Odlanier Solis
- Bryant Jennings

We know Duco are obsessed with rankings and have all but written off the WBA; of those Tarver, Thompson, Hammer, Perez and Solis are unranked with any of the WBC, WBO or IBF.

Which leaves Scott, Cunningham, Takam, Adamek, Fedesov & Jennings.

Thoughts? Or am I looking too much into what he said..?
Yep - Lonergan doing the sort of promoting that winds a few people up. He's just doing his job.
Stu said on a recent post he heard Cunningham was going back to Cruiser.
Adamek is shot, and basically a Cruiser, so a good choice.
When did Fedesov last fight?
Jennings has been mentioned, but not sure if they could afford to bring him here.
Takam is my favourite, because he has the incentive of knowing that if he beats JP he's close to a fight with Martin.
Scott came to Aussie to dismantle Leapai, so is possible, but is a tricky fighter

As for last night, it looked like JP was under a mandate to KO him with body punches, which he did. He wasn't head hunting as much. Bergman took some good shots, and was running or rugby tackling him most of the fight. Be interested to see how many punches Bergman threw in total
From all accounts and reading Lonergan's rubbish, how long would Bergman have lasted with AJ? A sobering thought! Lonergan leads the trash talk.
Ustinov is actually still ranked I think.

Maybe Ustinov is still in the picture.

-Kiwi
That didn't take long until comparisons are made again. LOL

In regards to the fight, after watching it on about 120 pixels, and a few Youtube highlights...What I did make out:

* Joe had no concern of Bergmans punches and left himself open at times. Shrugged off some solid hits to confirm Joe has a good chin.
* The big right hook was thrown well at times, at others he didn't lead in with the double jab, at which point the one off right was at times countered.
* Definitely had a plan from his corner to work the body throughout the vast majority of the bout.
* Bergman toughed it out well, and would have been stopped much earlier if Parker had targeted the head more.
* Joes conditioning was excellent, and considering the heat and humidity, I'd say he would be one of the fittest HWs in the world at present.

He needs and break, and a decent opponent. A solid April signing would mean a few weeks off, and a gradual increase back towards Aprils bout.

In regards to the AJ comparison. Sham, that's all trash talk to get the British publics tongues wagging...don't read into it. Smile
True Nakifan, after all it is the money business. Thanks for your advice. Lonergan talks shit but he's no fool.
I'm thinking Fedosov, Stu put his name in the mix as an elite guy in the division lol. He is ranked but tbf he's not proved to be anywhere near elite. He reminds me of a poor mans Glazkov. Decent all round but just comes forward and doesn't throw enough. He's not especially quick or heavy hitting or durable for that matter. He'd still be a big step up though

I like the noise Lonergan is making about Aj who is still a work in progress himself but I think Joe would be considered a clear underdog based on what we have seen so far. Fedosov then Takam? Then Aj will joe be ready to step up?
Too true, james. Yes, Stu was keeping Fedosov's name in the loop from a few months back. Yeah, Lonergan is a loud mouth, but like others have said, he's just doing his job, getting Joe noticed, and trying to get fights.

Bergman was a perfect opponent for Joe. Bergman should have thrown more, but Joe got used to being hit solid, got to work on his body shots, faced a southpaw, and got in some much needed rounds. Here's a story and video clip from ESB:

https://www.boxing247.com/boxing-news/parker-methodically-beats-down-bergman-in-eight/51865#more-51865
(01-24-2016, 09:07 AM)Kiwi Wrote: Ustinov is actually still ranked I think.

Maybe Ustinov is still in the picture.

-Kiwi

WBA has ordered Ustinov fights Ortiz as part of their tournament