Joseph Parker
(12-31-2015, 09:46 PM)Kiwi Wrote: Great interview, Naki

Clearly the IBF is the pathway

And Takam is the guy that makes most sense to fight

But why not offer Briggs or Arreola $200,000 ??

Big money in those fights, surely.

-Kiwi

Simply because common sense & economics come into play - neither would be offered $200k to fight anyone - anywhere. Briggs has fought nothing but bad journeyman of late and is rated with one org - he was made a significant offer which he rejected. Areola was made a similar offer - along with many others. Takam on the other hand is rated by 3 orgs and presents a more meaningful challenge overall. 
Yes Stu - but what about the "hype" factor?

A Sunday afternoon fight in NZ - beamed into USA at primetime. The hot young gun vs. the famous "name" old gun.

Surely that is worth $200,000 - to push Joseph's name in the States? Briggs would hype it bigtime - don't you think?

Or Arreola - who is only 34 years old.

-Kiwi
There's certainly no quit in Kiwi.
Diehard - the point is that Briggs and Arreola have "name" value that still has resonance with the general public.

Most of those other guys don't. Even Takam - though he is good for IBF rankings. Most have never heard of him.

Big-TV boxing is all about the "hype" as much as the talent. Find US fighters that lend themselves to hype and get some attention.

Only Arreola, Tarver and Briggs have that "big name" - apart from the actual champs. So fight them and hype it big in America. Get HBO or Showtime on board.

-Kiwi
Tarver is basicallly a blown up cruiser, like Cunningham. And not that good. No market value. Stu has already told you that Duco is not going to offer Briggs and Arreola more than a hundred thousand. Briggs and Arreola refused. It's their money. Now if you throw in another hundred thousand to go with Duco's hundred thousand, Briggs or Arreola might bite.
LOL. Thanks, Diehard.

In that case I will give it away, my friend.

I'm bowing out. Have a great week.
No, no Kiwi. I'll talk to Stu and see if you can be an agent of his. When Briggs and Arreola say no to a hundred thousand, Stu can send you to talk to them. I'm betting on you that you won't take NO for an answer. As a famous artist said once, "when people say NO to me, that's when I start, not stop." Love it!
(01-03-2016, 11:14 AM)Kiwi Wrote: Yes Stu - but what about the "hype" factor?

A Sunday afternoon fight in NZ - beamed into USA at primetime. The hot young gun vs. the famous "name" old gun.

Surely that is worth $200,000 - to push Joseph's name in the States? Briggs would hype it bigtime - don't you think?

Or Arreola - who is only 34 years old.

-Kiwi
Definitely not Kiwi .. you set a standard where every boxer therein after is going to want similar money. And besides theres simply not enough juice in it - the US broadcasters arent going to pay anywhere near enough to warrant paying a purse like that to Briggs. $200k to someone who has only one rating - did nothing to earn his first shot and is attempting to do the same again? Chris Areola is a great guy who I consider a friend - he has been with the Goossens pretty much his whole career who are very dear friends of mine .. the Areola fight simply wont happen - if $200k was dangled it might but again the economics simply dont stack. Be patient guys - Joe is about to turn 24 and has an exciting year ahead ... 2016 will be a game changer ..
Fair enough, Stu

I accept your reasoning

And yes - an exciting year ahead. Keep up the good work.

-Kiwi
No need to be patient, Stu, as you are in the process of making some good fights for Joe in April and July. That's not far away! And if he passes those tests, it's all good from here on out. If you run into any trouble negotiating, can I send Kiwi to torture fighters for you who say NO to what you are requesting? No physical violence, just turning him loose.

After the Tua fiasco since he left KB, it's refreshing to see a fighter from NZ managed and matched well. And Joe doing the business.