Joseph Parker
Diehard - what if Parker late next year fought someone like Martin or Povetkin or any other Top 5 from an alphabet?

Wouldn't the winner jump into actual contention? Isn't he that close now?

-Kiwi
Yeah, I'm thinking he doesn't fight Martin or Povetkin, especially Povetkin, unless it's an eliminator. To me, being in the top 6-10 means you'll get good fights with guys in the 6-50 ranked positions looking to take your place. 1-5 means you're positioning yourself to fight the guy who will give you a shot at the title. Which is why those guys bide their time until they get the fight they need. For instance, Martin just fought the Mexican guy that Izu will be fighting.
So how do you now "force" one of those Top 5 guys to fight?

Purely money?

Or does the alphabet force the eliminator? How close is Parker to an eliminator bout?

-Kiwi
Well, if both guys are in the top 5, you wait until an alphabet says that the winner gets a title shot. His matchmaker Stu Duncan says Parker is 18 months away from a title shot, with a top 10 guy in 8 months. So, in doing the math, I figure it would be a year from now that he would be in an eliminator.

Money brings fighters to NZ to fight Parker. Only money. Which is why he needs to go to the US or Europe next year to make his run for the title.
But didn't they say they have no plans to go to USA or Europe?

Aren't they talking about Sun afternoon fights in NZ - which is Primetime in USA?

I think they may aim to lure some big boys down.

-Kiwi
I know everyone is wanting to see Joseph get better fighters under his belt, but 18 months seems really quick to have a shot at a title. What avenue do you think they will go for? surely not trying a shot at Klit? I would have though Wilder would have been a better path to travel...but then again, in 18 months who knows who's holding the title...

Regardless, should be an interesting year and a half ahead....I wonder what Sir Bob thinks about Joseph's progress considering he was championing him early on his his career...
I see 18 months as a long time away, mainly because Parker fights 4-5X a year. And, he'll have to step it up or people will stop paying attention. He's close to that already. Meehan was good, Martz is tall, Bergman is a lefty, but what after that? He can't stay at that level. Which is why Stu Duncan has him stepping it up in April and June/July.

Who knows who'll be the champ in 18 months. Klit may retire, Wilder will get beaten, and they may have a box off. Anything's possible.

Man, Bob Jones seems like a long time ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwhdZLc9YYM

Throwback video including the announcement of Joe Parker turning Pro, and a bit by Sir Bob..
New Zealand heavyweight boxer Joseph Parker up to No 5 in WBO rankings

Joseph Parker is making all the right moves as his heavyweight boxing career continues to rise.

New Zealand heavyweight Joseph Parker has lifted to a career-high No 5 ranking with the World Boxing Organisation.

Parker moves up one place on the back of his second round demolition of Kali Meehan in Auckland last month.

He is the WBO's Oriental and African champion.

Parker has also risen three places with rival organisation the WBC to No 11 on their latest rankings and is one spot up with the WB to be No 12 on their latest list.

The lift comes as Parker puts the finishing touches to a training camp in Las Vegas ahead of his December 5 clash with American Daniel Martz in Hamilton's Fight For Life promotion.

Parker is unbeaten over 16 fights with 14 KOs.

He has also finally come into focus with respected website Fightnews.com who have placed him at No 15 on their heavyweight listings.

Perhaps the best perspective in the alphabet soups of boxing organisations comes with independent outfit Boxrec who list Parker at No 9.

Parker also has his first fight of what promises to be a busy 2016 confirmed, clashing with American southpaw Jason Bergman in Samoa on January 23

There was also a significant move by Parker's stablemate Izu Ugonoh who came into the rankings for the first time at No 15 with the WBO. Ugonoh has improved his unbeaten record to 14-0 (11KO) under the tutelage of Parker's trainer Kevin Barry.
Looks to me that they will aim to bring a "name" down here about June next year - maybe for a Sun afternoon NZ fight
that will broadcast in the USA at primetime.

Sounds like a plan to me. And very exciting for NZ boxing.

-Kiwi