Joseph Parker
(08-09-2015, 07:13 AM)cranky Wrote: tm7.. when I clicked your link I got all "world" heavyweights, not just north america... looks like we need to drop down a few places on the top dropdown menu when we click your link.  I haven't used that filter before- interesting....

Ahhh yes sorry about that. The link is the same regardless of what drop down you select.
I've been reading this thread for awhile now and have finally decided to register. To be honest I'm a big Joseph Parker fan, for me his entrance into the NZ boxing scene as a professional has spurred a resurgence amongst the NZ boxing watching population. Regardless on what some people think about the level of opponents he has had so far, for me this kid has a huge potential. I look forward to October's fight.
Welcome NakiFan. You're making too much sense. Hope you stick around, and keep posting.
Welcome Nakifan, too true about Joe. The Meehan fight will answer a few questions I'm sure, even though he 45n yrs old it is a good stepup and should bring stability on Duco's account.
Thanks guys. I agree that Meehan will be a good test. For me the main test for Joe would be to work on getting past Meehans reach advantage. Joe's handspeed will always be a weapon, but unless you're finding a way past a stretching jab, he'll be in for a workout. Probably the last long armed opponent Joe has fought would have been Marcelo Nascimento.

As much as I'd like to see him go 5-6 rounds...I think another early knockout is coming. The change of bodyshape and extra power Parker has now, since his debut is impressive.
He has changed for sure in power and body plus coupled with his growing confidence he is becoming a force to consider. As he steps up now he suddenly becomes more inresting than he was.
I'm one who believes he's been matched right. He's only been around for 3 years or so, and has fought experienced journeymen. His ranking is probably undeserved, but that's also true of others in the top 10. Meehan is another experienced journeyman at this stage in Kali's career. Get past him, fight another similar type in Samoa, and then go for gold in the US or Europe against top ten guys.
...and we talk about Parker's level of opposition:

Another new opponent for Lucas Browne

Heavyweight contender Lucas “Big Daddy” Browne will now face American seven-footer Julius “Towering Inferno” Long on Friday night after Icho Larenas pulled out as a result of legal problems. Larenas was himself a replacement for Gonzalo Basile, but Hatton Promotions’ international matchmaker Philippe Fondu received word late on Thursday that it was unlikely that the Canadian former MMA star would be allowed to leave Argentina, where he is now based. After working through the night, Fondu, Browne’s manager Matt Clark, and agent Juan Pablo Manfredi, managed to secure a deal with Long. The fight will be a ten round non-title contest and is being televised live free to air across Australia on Channel 9.

Browne said: “It’s part of boxing and again, I’m used to it. I just worry about my performance and I’m happy my team has again secured an opponent. I can’t wait to put on a show. Much respect to Julius for taking the fight at such short notice, that’s the sign of a warrior. He’s a big man so it’ll be like I’m preparing for Wilder or Fury!”

Matt Clark added: “A huge thanks to Julius for taking the fight. He is a huge man who is very, very durable. He’s been a pleasure to deal with and he always puts up a great show. Replacing fighters at short notice is the hardest thing about boxing and the past 48 hours have been a nightmare. Thankfully the show is going on! A massive thanks to Ricky Hatton for his continued support and to Brian Amatruda for placing the fight on live television here in Australia.”
"...and we talk about Parker's level of opposition:"

This must be the hardest thing for an up and coming fighter. Finding your way up the ranks, especially if you are seen as a threat. It really does show that the journeyman is a very important figure in the sport of boxing...
Welcome Naki fan - agree Meehan is an ideal fight for Parker at this stage. If he takes a couple of solid straight rights from Meehan it will be interesting to see how he takes them, but agree Parker will be too fast and too strong.

As for Lucas Browne, his last fight was Chauncy Welliver 9 months ago, and 3 fights before that he fought Clarence Tillman, so Julius Long is par for the course