SBW vs Chauncey
Bart, I'd normally agree with you.  But against Browne and Ustinov, admittedly top ten opponents, he looked awful, out of shape, and only looked to survive.  No offense.  Now, if he re-hired Joe Hipp, got back in shape, re-discovered his power, well maybe.
It's all on!  Die

Darren Walton, NZ Newswire

December 19, 2014, 2:18 pm

Sonny Bill Williams and Quade Cooper will headline the action at the inaugural Footy Show Fight Night in Sydney next month.

Fellow football stars Paul Gallen and All Blacks forward Liam Messam, along with rising Australian boxer Willis Meehan, will also feature in the January 31 event at Allphones Arena.

Unbeaten in six heavyweight bouts, Williams will take on American Chauncy Welliver, a vastly experienced competitor who has won 55 of his 70 professional fights.

It will be the dual international's first fight since beating South African Frans Botha in a controversial 10-round encounter in February last year.

Organisers have yet to finalise an opponent for cruiserweight Cooper, who is undefeated in his two fights.

The Queensland Reds playmaker enjoyed a sparring session with Wallabies coach Michael Cheika on Australia's spring tour last month and said he was grateful for the ARU's approval to fight during the off-season.

"Just a few rounds on one of the captain's runs," Cooper said.

"I looked at it as a different way to do some fitness. I was going to look at finding a gym and do some boxing anyway and Cheika just hit me up and said he'll go buy some gloves."

Williams said he also sounded All Blacks coach Steve Hansen before committing to a seventh professional bout.

"The major concern for myself was getting his approval," Williams said.

"He said that as long as I don't get knocked out, he's happy with it.

"So hopefully that's the plan."
Die I saw the Unstnov fight and yes Chauncy seems to have slipped off the fast food ban...
He has been active though and fighting quality opponents. He is favorable to SBW as Chauncy is well known to kiwis and relatively lite fisted.
The undercard maybe interesting. I would like to see SBW fight his Chiefs teammate Tameifuna, who never wins a decision but looks a better boxer than many of them .
He took the Ustinov fight on late notice.  He has been active in his Boxfit gym, but damn.  300+ pounds.  He just doesn't offer anything offensively...he should have retired after the Tank fight.
(12-19-2014, 07:33 PM)diehard Wrote: He took the Ustinov fight on late notice.  He has been active in his Boxfit gym, but damn.  300+ pounds.  He just doesn't offer anything offensively...he should have retired after the Tank fight.

Well its a payday and he has been doing this game for a wee while now. A goodpayday and a test of just where SBW is at after a long layoff and against a guy who may be a hard puzzle to solve if the going gets tough.....jus saying he deserves a good payday and might surprise a few folk if he trains to beat SBW. He has to box him. He has no other way to win otherwise.
Willis Meehan also on the undercard.
Chauncy comes in with those crossed arms/gloves high up to cover his face. From that, he tries to get off punches on the inside. Could be a long nite for SBW if he lets Chauncy do that. I suspect he'll pick him off from the outside. Chauncy says he wants to fight Parker.

The fight is the 31st of January, same nite as the Auckland 9s. Meehan will be good on the undercard.
(12-20-2014, 10:53 AM)diehard Wrote: Chauncy comes in with those crossed arms/gloves high up to cover his face.  From that, he tries to get off punches on the inside.  Could be a long nite for SBW if he lets Chauncy do that.  I suspect he'll pick him off from the outside.  Chauncy says he wants to fight Parker.

The fight is the 31st of January, same nite as the Auckland 9s.  Meehan will be good on the undercard.

Is this fight definatly being held in Australia?
Definitely Australia.  I think Sydney.  Some of the Aussie rugby players, Cooper, Gallen, will be fighting.  SBW said he's going to move to Hamilton to join the Chiefs the following week.
That's a shame, I think I'd go and watch this quirky fight. I guess it'll be ppv here.