NZBoxChat
Parker vs Joshua, Instead of What's a fair split? - Printable Version

+- NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz)
+-- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Parker vs Joshua, Instead of What's a fair split? (/showthread.php?tid=431)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

RE: Parker vs Joshua, Instead of What's a fair split? - diehard - 11-17-2017

oseph Parker labelled 'dreamer' over his Anthony Joshua fight demands

Joseph Parker is a "dreamer" who doesn't deserve 40 per cent of a purse with Anthony Joshua and lacks the ability to compete with the British heavyweight.

That's the view of fellow Brit Tony Bellew who has delivered a personal column where he dishes out his harsh realities for New Zealand's WBO heavyweight champion.

The handlers of Parker and Joshua are locked in negotiations for a unification fight.

Anthony Joshua had his own share of problems with Carlos Takam before getting a 10th round TKO decision in Cardiff.

Bellew has penned his column ahead of his juicy rematch with David Haye in London next month.

Bellew noted the injury rumours around Haye and said he would be happy to switch his attention to Parker if the Haye fight fell over.

British boxer Tony Bellew is never short of advice and has issued some warnings to Joseph Parker's fight plans.

There have always been suggestions that Parker could fight the winner of Bellew versus Haye as another way of increasing his British profile.

Bellew, never short of an opinion, issued some warnings to Parker that weren't just limited to facing Joshua. He also suggested alternate plans for fights with Russian Alexander Povetkin and Australian Lucas Browne were worrying for the Kiwi.

"Parker is dreaming if he thinks he can take 40 per cent of an Anthony Joshua fight at Wembley. That's absolutely ridiculous," Bellew wrote in Metro as the battle over the money equation bogs down the unification process.

Tony Bellew is well connected with Eddie Hearn who also promotes Anthony Joshua.

"A fight with Joshua is probably five times more than Parker has ever earned. He's not entitled to that. The best fight on his record is Carlos Takam and that was a narrow victory. Joshua won every single round against Takam in Cardiff. Parker's team are dining out on this WBO title and they should be very, very careful what they wish for.

"There's several heavyweights out there that can beat Parker. I'm one of them. If I was Parker I wouldn't even think of going to Russia to fight Alexander Povetkin, he would lose that fight. And then he'll be kicking himself for turning down a record payday fight with Joshua."

Bellew, who is a team mate of Joshua in promoter Eddie Hearn's stable of fighters, felt Parker was a "man of the moment" and needed to be clever with his options.

"Parker is in a great position and is champion in a time when boxing is booming again. The Deontay Wilder fight, I think, will take some time to make for Joshua. So I think it's the Parker fight that will be Joshua's next big test. And if Joshua gets to Parker before me, the New Zealander's reign will end. There's no way Parker can compete with Joshua.

"I won't tell lies, I like the fight with Parker, for myself. Parts of my team feel the same and then others don't. But, I want to look at it.

"I believe 100 per cent I would beat Joseph Parker. And I'm not talking about running from him and outboxing him like Hughie Fury did in Manchester.

"Fury showed that Parker can easily be outboxed and hit clean, but he couldn't put it all together against Parker.

"If Parker doesn't walk forward all night, there's no fight there. He walks forward and makes a fight of it all night long, but you can't expect a fighter to walk into your big hits.

"Unless you're the likes of Floyd Mayweather …

"Parker was landing on Fury, not much, but enough to win the fight. Fury will be frustrated because if he had thrown more leather, he could have won that fight."

Bellew felt Parker was the most vulnerable of the top heavyweights and that made him in demand as an opponent.

"Parker is the name out there that everyone wants. Not that he isn't good at what he does, I'm not underestimating him or trying to trash him. But, his size stops him from matching up with Joshua and Wilder," Bellew wrote in Metro.

"I do think he beats most of the other heavyweights in the world. His work-rate, chin and tenacity gets him past every other heavyweight, bar me – and maybe David Haye. I actually think Haye's power and speed would see him stop Parker. For all I say about Haye, he is a very, very good fighter."

Bellew offered a word of warning to the Parker camp as they line up a potentially lucrative trans-Tasman clash with Browne if the plans to fight Joshua fell over.

"If I was Parker, I wouldn't even touch Lucas Browne. He's a steroid cheat, forget him. Browne and Luis Ortiz should be banned for life, otherwise someone is going to be killed in the ring by a steroid user," Bellew wrote.

"That will happen one day and then we'll see drug cheats banned for life. It's sad, but that's where we are heading."

- Stuff

RE: Parker vs Joshua, Instead of What's a fair split? - Dannyboy - 11-17-2017

Gee, Bellew talks a load of crap. I really hope Haye knocks him into next week.

A lead up fight for Parker, then Parker v Joshua will be great. Styles make fights as we know, so definitely wouldn't underestimate Parker in this fight.

RE: Parker vs Joshua, Instead of What's a fair split? - Infern0 - 11-17-2017

I dont really disagree with anything bellew said tbh

RE: Parker vs Joshua, Instead of What's a fair split? - craigyid14 - 11-17-2017

Yep, Parker is I the easiest route to become world' champion, I think Bellew/Haye is a bit like McGregor/Mayweather in that you can't really lose on the outcome because one of them is gonna get beat. I think I'd prefer it if Haye got beat though, then hopefully he'd never come back. Can you imagine Haye/Parker? What a stinker that'd be.

RE: Parker vs Joshua, Instead of What's a fair split? - diehard - 11-18-2017

I'll be the last man standing' - Joseph Parker backs himself to KO Anthony Joshua

New Zealand's WBO world champion Joseph Parker wants a bigger slice of the heavyweight title action.

Joseph Parker says he deserves more respect and has vowed to knock out Anthony Joshua and Deontay Wilder if unification fights can be lined up.

Parker, the WBO champion, is widely considered the most vulnerable belt holder in the division when put alongside IBF and WBA boss Joshua and American Wilder who holds the WBC belt.

Parker's handlers are in negotiations with Joshua's camp but won't be afraid to turn their attention to Wilder if a suitable deal can't be done with the British.

Parker did a round of media in both the UK and US on Saturday (NZT) and made his feelings clear – he's right in the mix to see who truly is the world champion and should be treated accordingly.

"I don't think I've ever gotten the respect of being a world champion, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I feel as a world champion I have achieved something incredible in our country and am very happy with what I have achieved. But I don't think I get the respect [it deserves]," Parker told ESPN.

"My last few performances weren't the best and maybe that is the reason why people don't see me as a threat or a challenge. But styles make fights. I like the style that he [Joshua] brings. I think my movement will cause him a bit of trouble and my punches.

"I'm still young in the sport but I have a really strong feel on what I can actually do in the ring and the power that I have.

"Now I have the WBO, I want the WBC. I want the IBF. I want the WBA. AJ is a fighter who is champion of the world. My goal is to unify. My goal is to grab his belts and to say that I am the real champion. It is everyone's goal. It is just who works hardest, has better skills and technique at the end of the day.

"I don't think I would have problems knocking them [Joshua or Wilder] out. Joshua has been dropped within his professional, amateur, sparring [rounds] and Wilder has been shaken up a few times."

Joseph Parker ✔@joeboxerparker
.@anthonyfjoshua so what's happening? Fight a voluntary or pay me respectable 40% as fellow champion and unify? ??#NeverBeenDropped @EddieHearn @D_Higgins_Duco

Parker continued that aggressive line with Sky Sports in the UK who showcase Joshua to that crucial market.

The 25-year-old Kiwi is adamant Joshua's come-forward approach plays into his hands and backs himself to win a slug-fest.

"I feel like the style that he has, I can work with, and I truly believe that I can knock him out," Parker told Sky Sports.

"I think that if we get the opportunity to fight, then I will be the last man standing. I have a lot of confidence that I can take a punch, and give a good one as well."

Parker feels the lack of respect for him is being displayed in the negotiations and wants Joshua and his promoter Eddie Hearn to offer a better deal.

"I feel it's a little low, but they can improve on it," Parker said of the starting point for a fight where three of the four belts would be on the line.

"Voluntary is 20 per cent is it? Mandatory is 30 per cent? So I think unification, it's fair to make it 40 for a unification. It comes down to negotiating and seeing where everybody is at.

"I think I do deserve that respect. I worked hard to get here and I believe that if we want to unify then we should actually do a deal that everyone is happy with."

- Stuff

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11945337

RE: Parker vs Joshua, Instead of What's a fair split? - Kiwi - 11-18-2017

Parker's team need to be very patient here, or they're going to get played.

Go on a holiday, guys. Turn off the phone for a few weeks. Let Hearn be the one to sweat.

You are too anxious to make this happen.

Mr Higgins has a figure in mind, which sounds like around 35%. So he'll wait until Hearn says 35.

RE: Parker vs Joshua, Instead of What's a fair split? - Kiwi - 11-18-2017

Hearn would be mad to offer them any more than 29% after seeing this.

(11-14-2017, 07:17 PM)Infern0 Wrote:
(11-14-2017, 05:45 PM)diehard Wrote: But Infern0, are you suggesting that since the belts don't mean anything, that boxing should do away with all belts?

Ian ideal world they would get rid of all the governing bodies and there would just be 1 belt in each division. But that will never happen.

(11-18-2017, 01:41 PM)Kiwi Wrote: Hearn would be mad to offer them any more than 29% after seeing this.

Then they won't fight. AJ needs Parker more than Parker needs him. There are no good fights than his fans want to see except Wilder. Parker has Bellew, Browne, and maybe Whyte and Miller.

If Mr Higgins had taken the 20%, we wouldn't be at 30+ right now. Good negotiating. Mr Higgins has a Plan B and C. Hearn is struggling for a Plan A, as Wilder won't take the short money either. Povetkin? He's looking at Joe, not AJ.