NZBoxChat
Parker vs Ruiz for WBO - Printable Version

+- NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz)
+-- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Parker vs Ruiz for WBO (/showthread.php?tid=185)

RE: Parker vs Ruiz for WBO - shamrock - 10-25-2016

Parker on the back foot not a good scenario as per Takam, also away from the comfort zone and fanbase love against a guy that looks like he sits down on his punches... maybe no one punch power (Ruiz) but accumulative punching providing he doesn't run out of steam like Takam did.

RE: Parker vs Ruiz for WBO - NakiFan - 10-25-2016

Don't underestimate what that Takam fight did for Parker. I think he has learnt a hell of alot since that fight, and would be a different fighter if Ruiz adopts that same tactic.

Plus Ruiz wouldn't have the stamina to pull off what Takam did.

RE: Parker vs Ruiz for WBO - shamrock - 10-25-2016

The big thing is Takam didn't have the stamina either, if Ruiz got in better shape like we're hearing things might stagnate right there. Jo hasn't had any pressure since the Takam fight and has targeted taller buildups preempting a Joshua challenge.

RE: Parker vs Ruiz for WBO - diehard - 10-25-2016

Andy Ruiz believes he can expose Joseph Parker's dislike for pressure

Andy Ruiz claims Joseph Parker doesn't know how to fight going backwards and intends to expose that in their WBO heavyweight title fight.

Both fighters are in camp in the United States preparing for their looming showdown though a time and date remain uncertain.

Parker's handlers at Duco Events have rights to stage the fight in Auckland on December 10 but are struggling to tie down the huge financial commitment involved at such short notice.

That has raised the strong likelihood that the fight will be transferred to the United States with Ruiz's promoter Bob Arum keen to cash in on his fighter's Hispanic heritage and popularity as Mexico looks to land its first world heavyweight champion.

Regardless of the fight venue, the 29-year-old Ruiz believes he has the style to beat Parker.

"The main thing for me is to use my speed and be aggressive. I don't think he likes the pressure. I don't think he knows how to fight going backwards good," Ruiz told Fightnews.com after he and his trainer Abel Sanchez had reviewed footage of fight's from Parker's unbeaten run over 21 fights.

Ruiz has promised to get in shape for this massive opportunity. A fighter with notorious weight battles, Ruiz has already been training for a week at altitude at Big Bear in California.

"I hope he thinks I'm going to get tired like I did in my last fight (Franklin Lawrence) because I wasn't prepared for that fight," Ruiz, who is unbeaten over 29 fights with 19 knockouts, said.

He continued to offer his fight strategy, saying: "I'm going to be smart and hit the body. When I sparred (Parker) I was counter-punching so you will see a lot of that."

Parker won't be worried by this brash talk. He revels in having opponents come forward, believing it opens up attacking opportunities for him.

Parker's trainer Kevin Barry said one of the main attractions for them to go down the WBO route rather than hold out for their mandatory shot against IBF world champion Anthony Joshua, was the style that Ruiz brings to the ring.

Barry, while acknowledging Ruiz's experience, speed and power, felt he was a good match for Parker.

Sanchez and Arum have been particularly talking up the speed of Ruiz, suggesting he has "the fastest hands in the west". But hand speed is also a major asset of Parker and to hear the Ruiz camp criticising the Kiwi as being slow is surprising.

It adds intrigue to the match-up where Parker will enjoy a slight height and reach advantage.

Duco have given themselves till early next week to try to tie down the Auckland deal though boss Dean Lonergan rates their chances of success at "20 to 30 per cent".

A shift to the United States would represent a major move in momentum towards Ruiz, giving him home advantage, especially if massive support can be mobilised.

- Stuff

(10-25-2016, 10:43 AM)shamrock Wrote: The big thing is Takam didn't have the stamina either, if Ruiz got in better shape like we're hearing things might stagnate right there. Jo hasn't had any pressure since the Takam fight and has targeted taller buildups preempting a Joshua challenge.

Good game plan, Sham. But the problem with it is that Ruiz is NOT a pressure fighter. Look at the Lawrence fight that I posted. He comes in very, very slowly. Lawrence hit him with jabs all night. Think what Parker will do to him.

If Ruiz becomes a different fighter, swarms Parker, lets his hands go, and keeps from getting hit with big shots while landing a few of his own, he becomes much more dangerous. Big IF though.

RE: Parker vs Ruiz for WBO - Dannyboy - 10-25-2016

Well well... as I thought Duco wont put this on in NZ cause there's not enough money to be made. The government wont come to the party as boxing is too controversial sport to be spending 7 digits on. Especially with an election just round the corner.

However, I believe this will be good for Joe to fight in the States, he needs the exposure and he needs to feel the pressure of a hostile crowd. This is character building to become a well rounded hard fighter, that can deal with pressure situations.

I think Ruiz might have Joe's number on this encounter... and as Ive said all along. Joe will be so much better for it, he's a good learner!!

RE: Parker vs Ruiz for WBO - NakiFan - 10-25-2016

The Parker team has already been bugging the Ruiz camp

Go to 36 min 09 sec

Went to the time you suggested, and then...what do you mean?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/85692526/joseph-parkers-backers-says-world-title-fight-in-new-zealand-makes-sense-for-government-partnership

RE: Parker vs Ruiz for WBO - Msreef - 10-25-2016

A 'bug' appears on the screen.

Found it! Funny.