NZBoxChat
Parker vs Ruiz for WBO - Printable Version

+- NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz)
+-- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Parker vs Ruiz for WBO (/showthread.php?tid=185)

RE: Parker vs Ruiz for WBO - Kiwi - 12-13-2016

Chris - we have a lot of very knowledgable long-time watchers of boxing over on Eastside/ B24. Rafts of them. The vast majority scored that fight close to a draw - edging toward Parker for a narrow win.

To say Ruiz "controlled" the fight is nonsense. He came forward constantly, but that is not 'control' if he simply doesn't do enough.

Parker edged it with his jab. Only just. This is a very consistent opinion among non-kiwi knowledgable guys.

It's the kiwis that hate Parker.

Can I add that this extreme "Love/ Hate" thing is the very essence of Tall Poppy syndrome.

They love to tear down almost as much as building up.

They do it with the All Blacks too.

RE: Parker vs Ruiz for WBO - diehard - 12-13-2016

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/87500834/respected-boxing-historian-thomas-hauser-says-joseph-parker-not-a-true-heavyweight-world-champion

RE: Parker vs Ruiz for WBO - Infern0 - 12-13-2016

The thing is people wouldn't have to point out what hauser said if it wasn't for stuff.co.nz and the nz herald releasing "souvenir editions" with "the heavyweight champion of the world"

Tyson fury still holds the ring magazine title which is the most widely recognized and hardest title to win.

He is the heavyweight champion until he's stripped in which case until #1 and #2 in the division fights it stays vacant.

There is no active world heavyweight champion.

Parker, joshua and wilder are prospects with belts

Good points Inferno. I agree. There is no "world champ" right now.

Parker clearly struggles against tough shorter guys. But it may lead to the bigger guys underestimating him too. They will want his belt. Why not take on Wilder or Joshua? -Still makes sense. And they may now come looking.

Kiwi, only after he meets his WBO mandatory, Hughie or Miller in March/April in Dunedin.

RE: Parker vs Ruiz for WBO - Yanni - 12-13-2016

(12-13-2016, 10:03 AM)Kiwi Wrote: Can I add that this extreme "Love/ Hate" thing is the very essence of Tall Poppy syndrome.

They love to tear down almost as much as building up.

They do it with the All Blacks too.

I think the All Blacks have made NZers a little bit arrogant and unrealistic as sports fans. 

I also see a tendency for Kiwi's to go out of their way to appear impartial, when in reality what they're really doing is being biased against their own - eg when I watch NZ Super Rugby refs officiate, they seem to love giving the benefit of the doubt to the overseas teams but not the home side.

Just my opinion.

RE: Parker vs Ruiz for WBO - NakiFan - 12-13-2016

I saw this on Boxing Scene...had to share it Smile
[Image: t2ZViO3.gif]

RE: Parker vs Ruiz for WBO - gothenaki - 12-13-2016

(12-13-2016, 12:54 PM)Infern0 Wrote: The thing is people wouldn't have to point out what hauser said if it wasn't for stuff.co.nz and the nz herald releasing "souvenir editions" with "the heavyweight champion of the world"

Tyson fury still holds the ring magazine title which is the most widely recognized and hardest title to win.

He is the heavyweight champion until he's stripped in which case until #1 and #2 in the division fights it stays vacant.

There is no active world heavyweight champion.

Parker, joshua and wilder are prospects with belts
Captain Obvious to the rescue!

T.Fury beats anyone he can be bothered to get in shape for.

I just want to see some good heavyweight fights made. Klit vs AJ is a good start..

I don't really get all the "gnashing of teeth." I loved the Ruiz Parker fight, and saw it for what it was. 2 guys still in their 20's (young heavies), who have a lot to learn and who will have tougher fights in the future, training and fighting their hearts out.

Everyone knows the alphabets are a joke, but politics, marketing and self-promotion are huge in boxing. Whats new?

I agree gothe. To me, it's about heavyweights fighting in competitive fights. Like Parker/Ruiz. Not AJ/Molina. Not sure AJ/Klit will be competitive, as I think Klit is looking to cash in and retire. But yes, I like those kinds of fights.