NZBoxChat
Parker vs Ruiz for WBO - Printable Version

+- NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz)
+-- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Parker vs Ruiz for WBO (/showthread.php?tid=185)

RE: Parker vs Ruiz for WBO - Msreef - 10-24-2016

Ruiz apparently has a good chin, so if Parker can't knock him out he'll probably need to dominate him to get the decision in the US.

RE: Parker vs Ruiz for WBO - diehard - 10-24-2016

Joseph Parker's WBO title fight being switched from New Zealand to United States now looks '70-80%'

Trainer Kevin Barry and New Zealand heavyweight boxer Joseph Parker continue to work at their Las Vegas camp as details for the WBO title fight continue to be negotiated.

Joseph Parker's handlers admit there's now "a 70 to 80 per cent chance" they will hand the rights to his WBO heavyweight title fight to his rival's promoter in the United States.

Duco Events secured the fight against Mexican Andy Ruiz for December 10 in Auckland but, as revealed by Fairfax Media on Monday, the financial enormity of the exercise means they are likely to struggle to pull that off on the tight deadline.

Top Rank in the United States, headed by Ruiz's boss Bob Arum, are standing by to take charge of the deal.

Duco Events co-owner Dean Lonergan says they will give themselves "until the end of ths week or early next week" to try to come up with the funds to make a New Zealand fight work.

"But I'd say right now it's looking 70 to 80 per cent that the fight will go to the US," a frustrated Lonergan said.

"We want to make it happen, we want to give Joe the fight at home, we want to create history in New Zealand, but the fiscal responsibilities are a big deal."

Lonergan said he's "not holding my breath" for government funding to help the project which has the potential for a huge global TV audience.

He had been in ongoing discussions with Arum, keeping the American up to date with their progress while also listening to the alternative options in the US.

In the meantime he continued to try to make the Auckland promotion happen.

Lonergan has a core of sponsors in place and on Tuesday starts a desperate search for additions.

"I've got to go out and get more on board. We have to give this our best shot, so we carry on the drive for backing. We are in the fight business and when the chips are down you fight harder."

Arum believes the promotion can be a major success in the United States where Ruiz can draw on his Hispanic background and popularity, with fans eager to see Ruiz try to win Mexico their first world heavyweight title.

If Arum gets the deal he wants to announce the venue by November 5. He is looking at Las Vegas and California but has also raised the possibility of a stadium production in Texas, at the home of the Dallas Cowboys where a crowd of 80,000 would be possible.

That would give Ruiz a massive advantage.

Arum told Fairfax Media from Las Vegas that if he took on the promotion, he would probably need to move it back to January, a delay that would affect training schedules.

"We would do huge business in the United States with this fight," Arum promised.

"The interest has soared since the fight was announced."

Arum said he had met with Parker and his trainer Kevin Barry and noted their comfort with Las Vegas where Barry was based and Parker trained.

Arum felt a fight in the United States would be huge for Parker in terms of publicity and the 24-year-old's future prospects.

"That being said, I made a commitment to Dean Lonergan that has has first option and, at Top Rank, we are men of our word. So the ball is in Dean's court. But we are ready to do it here if they say it can't be done in New Zealand," Arum said.

- Stuff

Kiwi, you might get your wish. But why would Lonergan lobby all this time for a WBO title fight in NZ, gets the WBO nod, and then say the finances aren't there? Call me naive, but why is this fight so different in financial terms so different than the Takam fight?

Something's not right...

Arum: Andy (Ruiz) has a helluva shot against Parker

By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing

Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum has been assured by Top Rank matchmakers that his heavyweight WBO#3 Andy Ruiz (29-0, 19 KOs) can defeat WBO#1, IBF#1, Joseph Parker (21-0, 18 KOs) for the vacant WBO title in Auckland, New Zealand on December 10. Ruiz’s trainer, Abel Sanchez and Top Rank matchmakers Bruce Trampler and Brad Goodman said the unbeaten Mexican has a helluva a shot to be victorious against Parker.

Arum also said of Donald Trump’s anti-Mexican sentiments and Ruiz hand speed. “The fastest hands in the west. That’s who Donald Trump was thinking about when he said bad hombre.”

“(Matchmakers) Bruce (Trampler) and Brad (Goodman) give him a helluva shot and Abel thinks that he (Ruiz) can do it. Those are the guys that are important, not a schmuck like me. I’m a business person in boxing, I rely on my matchmakers. and they all believe Andy has a hell of a shot,” Arum said. “It would be great, particularly to have the first Mexican heavyweight champion in history, you know how huge that would be in Mexico? The president (Enrique Peña Nieto) would ban Trump from the country.”

DUCO MATCHMAKER FIRES BACK
You know what .. Bob refers to the fact that his matchmakers Bruce Trampler & Bobby Goodman both tell him that Ruiz stands a good chance of beating Parker - so he believes it? I will start by saying Bruce Trampler in my opinion is the most credentialed matchmaker in the sport - someone I respect and aspire to be like .. Bobby Goodman is well credentialed and respected also .. But on this occasion they got it wrong. Does Ruiz stand a chance - of course he does - it is the heavyweight division and one punch can change everything .. but now lets take a look at the facts.
In Ruiz's last outing he faced 41yo Franklin Lawrence and couldn't put him away winning the fight on points. Where was the hand speed and power they are talking about in this fight? He came in soft looking @ 252lbs and gassed out half way through the fight. A younger opponent with better skills than Lawrence would have taken him out in the second half of this fight.
Now we take a look at 42 year old Josh Gormley, his fight prior to Lawrence in March this year. Josh's record didnt look so bad numerically 23W - 4L .. coming of 4 wins. Now lets take a closer look and you will see that the 4 wins Josh had notched up was against opponents with records of 3-17 / 2-16 / 4-23 & 3-15 .. hardly impressive wins for mine.. Prior to those 4 wins Josh was knocked out in the 3rd round by an opponent 13-12 .. when you consider Josh's 4 losses had come at the hands of ordinary opponents with records of 9-10 & 1-5 also - it paints a totally different picture about this win. Also consider in Josh's fight since he lost to Ruiz - he was KO'd by Travis Kauffman in the 2nd round - then you start to be able to measure this win by Ruiz.
Prior to these 2 fights - Ruiz fought 45 year old Ray Austin and 3 or 4 journeyman. His only 2 respectable wins were over Tor Hammer who I dont really rate and Joey Hanks who also lost to Derric Rossy in his next fight after Ruiz.
Now lets look at Joseph Parker's most recent fights. He fought 6'7 Dimitrenko (34 years old with a record of 38-2) in his last outing dropping him in the opening round - again in the 2nd round before stopping him in the 3rd. Prior to that he stopped Solomon Haumono who had much better credentials than Josh Gormley. Prior to that he defeated Carlos Takam who was in 3 of the 4 sanctioning bodies top 5 ratings and a feared credible opponent. Takam for mine beats Ruiz.
Joseph has a height & reach advantage over Ruiz - he is younger and has equally as good if not better hand speed than Ruiz. Ruiz fights better when he has 250lb on him to push his way around - watch his fights and this is clearly evident. For mine Parker has better demonstrated power than Ruiz also. Bob Arum was quoted as saying that Parker is slow last week in the media? Ruiz looks good when he is up against limited skilled opponents who stand in front of him. Have a closer look at who Ruiz has KO'd of late .. Gormley who I have already spoken about .. and 2 others 12-8 and 29-8? (and that is since 2013). Now lets look at who he couldn't put away in his most recent fights .. Zunbano Love whose record was 37-11 who had only won 3 of his last 6 outings .. and you guessed it - all 3 of those losses were by knock out! Joshua put him away in 2 rounds, Charles Martin knocked him out as did Eric Molina - yet Ruiz couldn't? Where was that power and hand speed in this fight? Another that Ruiz couldn't put away in his last 6 outings was Joel Godfrey 17W - 14L - 1D who had only won one fight in his last 6 outings. Again where was the power and hand speed on this occasion? Godfrey had already been KO'd twice - no excuses with this one either.
All this talk of Ruiz's hand speed and power amounts to nothing more than dressing mutton up to look like lamb. Ruiz is a tough credible foe make no mistakes about it - but talking him up isn't going to get him across the line with Joseph Parker. Look closely at the facts and I have Joseph as favorite in this one - he has fought better opponents than Ruiz - bigger - stronger - fitter and his recent form has been better. For mine his hand speed is equal to that of Ruiz if not better and as Ruiz will discover - he hits harder.

RE: Parker vs Ruiz for WBO - Kiwi - 10-24-2016

LOL. Love the hype already.

Bring it on....

USA is by far the best place for this fight.

I'm betting Vegas, Kiwi. Parker trains there. KB is based there. Ruiz trains there. Huge Hispanic population in Nevada. Jimmy Smith, the noted boxing expert, said that the US holds zero interest for this fight. Said it on Radio Sport. But that could change:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/85674791/joseph-parkers-wbo-title-fight-being-switched-from-new-zealand-to-united-states-now-looks-7080

RE: Parker vs Ruiz for WBO - Kiwi - 10-24-2016

A Mexican fighting for the world title - instant marketability.

Huge huge interest in the Hispanic community there.

Vegas makes great sense. And gets Parker a "name" instantly.

RE: Parker vs Ruiz for WBO - shamrock - 10-24-2016

Vegas makes it legit

RE: Parker vs Ruiz for WBO - NakiFan - 10-24-2016

MGM Grand. Full house. Parker will be adopted by the Americans.